97 Es300 Overheating

tpnotch420

the other day my wife was warming up her car and we noticed the temperature gage was in the red so I thought it was the thermostat or water pump. Once the car is moving it drops down to normal. It only seems to run hot when the car is running but not moving for an extended period of time say 20 minutes or so. It runs hot in park or drive. the other symptom is when the car is running but not moving the heater blows cold air this happens weather the car is in park or drive. I can't seem to figure this out has anyone seen this before any help would be greatly appreciated

It seems as thought the she noticed the heat a day or so later. I did check the radiator fans and they are not spinning it seems as though the relays fan #2 and #3 need to be replaced. I will cycle the heat and check the heater valve. I aslo read somewhere that if my coolant level is low, which it probably is after over heating, that would effect my heater output can anyone confirm this?

okay so I topped off the coolant and the heater is now functioning properly.next I need to replace the relays for fan #2 and #3 just wondering if it could be something else that I should be looking at if it's not the relay. is there a temperature sensor that sends a signal to turn the fans on and off