Lexus Xm Radio

I am going to install XM radio in our new Lexus RX350. I've looked at both the Vais and lexus units and decided to go with the Lexus unit. Lexuspartsonline.com has the two required part numbers (861000W160 and 861800W031) for $240 plus shipping, even less expensive than the Vais device.

I want to use the Lexus unit because 1) it is a single black box with a specific mounting location and comes with mounting brackets etc. Lexus has a 23 page installation manual that can be downloaded from Sewell Lexus on line parts but, even though it is very detailed, I cannot fully understand some of the location sketches.

Where exactly is the tuner mounting position? It mounts directly adjacent to the "Audio Amp". I think Fig. 3-9 and 3-10 are showing it just behind the rear seat but I am not sure.

Has anyone else self installed the factory unit? I would be interested in learning from your experience. For example, was it really necessary to remove the rear bumper to professionally route the antenna wire into the vehicle? I am thinking there are other alternatives.

I typically plan this type of activity but with a car that is only a few days off the dealer's lot I feel the need to learn as much as I can before taking it apart.

I am going to install XM radio in our new Lexus RX350. I've looked at both the Vais and lexus units and decided to go with the Lexus unit. Lexuspartsonline.com has the two required part numbers (861000W160 and 861800W031) for $240 plus shipping, even less expensive than the Vais device.

I want to use the Lexus unit because 1) it is a single black box with a specific mounting location and comes with mounting brackets etc. Lexus has a 23 page installation manual that can be downloaded from Sewell Lexus on line parts but, even though it is very detailed, I cannot fully understand some of the location sketches.

Where exactly is the tuner mounting position? It mounts directly adjacent to the "Audio Amp". I think Fig. 3-9 and 3-10 are showing it just behind the rear seat but I am not sure.

Has anyone else self installed the factory unit? I would be interested in learning from your experience. For example, was it really necessary to remove the rear bumper to professionally route the antenna wire into the vehicle? I am thinking there are other alternatives.

I typically plan this type of activity but with a car that is only a few days off the dealer's lot I feel the need to learn as much as I can before taking it apart.

For $310, the dealer will install it, since there is no shipping, for the extra $50 or so, it is well worth it even though I will have to wait a week...

I too just picked up my RX350. I'd like to install the XM radio as the dealer was asking an outlandish amount to do it. I looked thru the PDF directions for doing so from Sewell and they seem workable. But I'd be much more comfortable taking it on if we could hear from some owners who've already done it. At a different forum I've read where others found it easy to do but it was on a different Lexus model. Taking the various panels and covers off in the passenger compartment is scary as I have visions of not getting them back together properly. Anyone else done this?

Hi RhoXS,

Can you give some more detail about how you were able to get the XM Installation Manual via the Sewell Lexus site- I was not able to find it.

Thanks,

Jon

Sure.

Go to sewelllexus.com

Click on either Dallas or Fort Worth

Click on Parts - Purchase Parts Online

Type 861000W160 in the search field at the top of the page and click on Go

Change "By description" to "By Part No." to right of search field and then Click Go

Click on Blue text "86100-0W160-08 XM Satellite Radio" under "Part Number/Short Description"

Click on "View/Download Installation Instructions" just below caricature of wrench on right side of screen.

The cost of the parts (the receiver and installation/mounting kit) is much less at lexuspartsonline.com. I never ordered from them so I do not know how reliable and honest they are.

We just bought a RX350 from Sewell in Fort Worth and had the XM radio installed. I watched them off and on and if you do it by the manual it is not easy. The most difficult part is installing the antennae and running the wire to the back. The installation can be simplified by putting the antennae on the far right side of the dash up against the windshield. That is where I installed on our 2004 RX330 when I installed the Vais Technology unit and it worked perfectly there.

We just bought a RX350 from Sewell in Fort Worth and had the XM radio installed. I watched them off and on and if you do it by the manual it is not easy. The most difficult part is installing the antennae and running the wire to the back. The installation can be simplified by putting the antennae on the far right side of the dash up against the windshield. That is where I installed on our 2004 RX330 when I installed the Vais Technology unit and it worked perfectly there.

wow for my new 2009 rx350 dealer wanst 899 for xm radio. now thats highway robbery

wow for my new 2009 rx350 dealer wanst 899 for xm radio. now thats highway robbery

$310 at my dealer.

It is my understanding the typical dealer charge for parts and installation is just under $700. A large Lexus dealer (Brahman) in Palm Beach quoted me $335.50 for parts and $360.00 for three hours labor at $120/hour. The dealer we bought the car from also quoted in the mid $600s.

Ultra 12, I suggest you ask the dealer to break down the $900 he quoted you. The retail cost of these parts is $136.50 for part # 861000W160 (Fit Kit) and $199.00 for part # 861800W031 (Receiver). The dealer should not be charging you more for the parts than the retail cost. As indicated above, you can buy these parts on line at a discount for a total of $239.20 + shipping but then you have to install them yourself.

I suggest you also call a dealer in some nearby city and ask them what the labor charge will be to keep your local dealer honest (as if that would ever be possible).

In any case, at $900, you should certainly not consider your dealer as someone looking out for your best interests.

It is my understanding the typical dealer charge for parts and installation is just under $700. A large Lexus dealer (Brahman) in Palm Beach quoted me $335.50 for parts and $360.00 for three hours labor at $120/hour. The dealer we bought the car from also quoted in the mid $600s.

Ultra 12, I suggest you ask the dealer to break down the $900 he quoted you. The retail cost of these parts is $136.50 for part # 861000W160 (Fit Kit) and $199.00 for part # 861800W031 (Receiver). The dealer should not be charging you more for the parts than the retail cost. As indicated above, you can buy these parts on line at a discount for a total of $239.20 + shipping but then you have to install them yourself.

I suggest you also call a dealer in some nearby city and ask them what the labor charge will be to keep your local dealer honest (as if that would ever be possible).

In any case, at $900, you should certainly not consider your dealer as someone looking out for your best interests.

i agree with you. i use a $60 kit that works on my 400H right now it works through a tape deck. since i am picking up my 09 rx350 by the end of the week and we will have it for 3 years i reather have a clean dash. i guess i will have to ask around. but since i will give the car back in 3 years i dont think i will be going through the trouble of removing xm radio. i dont mind spending in the area of 300-400 but not 900

I am just wondering if anyone knows if you need another additional SM parts? Do these parts supersede the CNP-2000 or do I still need it?

Thanks to all in advance!

I am just wondering if anyone knows if you need another additional SM parts? Do these parts supersede the CNP-2000 or do I still need it?

Thanks to all in advance!

buy a used ebay unit (get the # and verify it can be activated before you buy), and put it in yourself, no too hard

Lexuspartsonline.com has the two required part numbers (861000W160 and 861800W031) for $240 plus shipping,

Why would anyone want to start bidding at $250 on a product from Sewell Lexus when then can just buy it from Lexuspartsonline.com for $240.00 + shipping?