Thermostat Question, 1998 Ls400

Mera

My 1998 LS400 takes a long time to warm up on a cold day. By cold I mean around 0ish-10ish or so F. Is this typical on a LS400? It seems to take 3-4 miles (maybe 2 1/2-3ish even) before the needle even starts moving up off the bottom and a few more miles to get resonably warm and then maybe a mile or so till fully warm. Is this normal or possibly do I need a new thermostat. I hate to put in a new thermosat if this is normal. When driving my 2002 5.3 Silverado the temp needle starts moving up within a mile or less and it is very warm in 2 or so miles. My LS400 has 93,000 miles. I would think the thermostat is probably still original. That may or not mean it should be replaced though.

Thanks!

Rodney

My 1998 LS400 takes a long time to warm up on a cold day. By cold I mean around 0ish-10ish or so F. Is this typical on a LS400? It seems to take 3-4 miles (maybe 2 1/2-3ish even) before the needle even starts moving up off the bottom and a few more miles to get resonably warm and then maybe a mile or so till fully warm. Is this normal or possibly do I need a new thermostat. I hate to put in a new thermosat if this is normal. When driving my 2002 5.3 Silverado the temp needle starts moving up within a mile or less and it is very warm in 2 or so miles. My LS400 has 93,000 miles. I would think the thermostat is probably still original. That may or not mean it should be replaced though.

Thanks!

Rodney

I have a 2005 LS430 and it takes that long and am told it's normal.

After yesterday morning's 4° F and today's 9° F, I'm really missing global warming here in Kansas City.

Based on my 18 past winters with Lexus LS cars, your car's warm-up time is pretty typical.

If you park outside or in an unheated garage and have access to an AC outlet, a block heater is very nice to have. As well as providing quicker heater heat, it helps a car run better initially on a very cold day.

The suggested retail installed price of a block heater at Canadian Lexus dealers has zoomed up recently - now C$360. The installed price was only C$232 last year. I would think you could get a "deal" on an uninstalled price.

If you are interested in a block heater, I've been happy with the service from Metro Toyota/Lexus in Victoria, BC. Metro has an export license and can ship to the U.S.: http://www.metrolexusvictoria.com/aboutus/contactus.htm

Bummer. Oh well. At least I know my thermostat is OK.

Just bought a 2006 S500 Mercedes Benz 4matic in silver with 18,000 miles on it. I will store it until spring and drive my LS400 until then. Maybe begining/middle of March or so. I will not find out how long that one warms up till next winter.

Interesting that my 98 LS400 with 94,000 miles drives and feels just like the low mileage S500. I'll be sad to see my LS400 go. :( What a great car. Bought the S500 for my soon to move in girlfriend and soon wife. It is our daily driver. I drive my truck everyday and she will drive the MB. That way I have a man's car when we go somewhere and not some girly car!

Rodney

The suggested retail installed price of a block heater at Canadian Lexus dealers has zoomed up recently - now C$360.

That increase was necessary to pay for the carbon credits. ;)

• 14 years later...
On 12/16/2008 at 9:04 AM, Mera said:

Thanks!

Rodney

Mine runs cool for 2.2 miles of city driving and the needle has barely moved at that point. The engine is cool but my heater works. This is at 24 degreesF.