Satellite Radio In '04 Ls430 Questions

beartrap

Aside from waiting till Verizon gets a Bluetoth enabled cell phone in my area of NY/LI, has anyone tried to activate XM satellite radio in their '04 LS430? If so, could you please elaborate on what is needed? I read in the manual that the dealer needs to install some kind of receiver BEFORE I can activate the service. I went on xmradio.com and it asked for my XM radio ID. I was under the impression that all this came standard with the car! Also, would the dealer also need to install another ugly antena on my car? Don't think I want to go through with that, but curious to hear what others might have done, and is it worth having? Is the music quality and offerings worth the hassle, and the $10/month charge? Thanks...Beartrap.

I have xm satellite radio in my new 2004 LS 430. When I picked up the car my salesman and I turned it on and it asked for a code to be phoned in, which we did in 2 minutes. That's all there is to it. You should know there is a small black rectangular antenna ( about 2" x 2") which is mounted on the side of the trunk lid. It is noticeable and detracts from the appearance of the car, but I've gotten used to it. The sat radio itself sounds great. There are 18 presets for the approx. 100 stations, which you can change around just like the push buttons on any radio. The xm is beautifully integrated into the radio/sound system. I'm a fan.

thanks for the input. So did you have the dealer install this 2x2 antenna before you picked up the car? I'm quite sure I do not have this on my car! I would like to get the service, and agree its integration with the stereo system is excellent, however, I'm not sure I want some 2x2 square attached to the side of my Silver car! If the car was black maybe... I thought the GPS antenna on the roof provided support for satelite radio as well as the GPS?

How did you get the service enabled and what did it cost?

• 2 weeks later...

The satellite radio requires a black antenna that sits on the side of the trunk lid, attached only with a magnet. The wire goes around the side of the trunk lid and ends up on the underside of the lid. The antenna is always black--not color-matched. I was quoted $1,200. That buys a lot of CDs!