Engine Knocking? Oh Noooooo!

I've been driving my 4runner this past week and my GS has just been sitting for the past 4 days in 30 to 40 degree weather. I went to start my car a few minutes ago and I heard a horrible knocking sound from the engine. I turned it off immediately, checked the oil, pulled the timing belt cover, saw nothing out of the ordinary so I started it up again and the noise gradually got quieter then went away. Is this a sign of immanent engine death or anything or just cold oil working its way up to the engine... I'm a little worried... but if it does mean I need a new engine.. I'm going for a 2jz-gte swap....

I've been driving my 4runner this past week and my GS has just been sitting for the past 4 days in 30 to 40 degree weather. I went to start my car a few minutes ago and I heard a horrible knocking sound from the engine. I turned it off immediately, checked the oil, pulled the timing belt cover, saw nothing out of the ordinary so I started it up again and the noise gradually got quieter then went away. Is this a sign of immanent engine death or anything or just cold oil working its way up to the engine... I'm a little worried... but if it does mean I need a new engine.. I'm going for a 2jz-gte swap....

Make sure the oil level is topped off! Any oil leaks?? It could be that the oil settled from sitting? Also it you spun a bearing or threw a rod it would have happened while driving and its very obvious because the car will almost shut down from the engine retarding the timing, and or cutting off the fuel etc. to prevent further damage. If it went away it should be fine, But i would be cautious. Typically a rod knock only gets louder upon acceleration and will not quiet or go away whatsoever!! Once the rod is thrown or the rod bearing is spun its there, And its not going away at all.

No Fear..was it a hard knock or a loud tapping noise? it may have been a fuel injector/s making that noise - given the time it sat and the frigid temps, your fuel injectors may have been slightly dry, and they needed the fuel to lubricate the pumps. no biggie, just next time it sits for that long, turn your key at least 3 times before cranking it to prime the injectors better. this is my best theory or .02$ worth. ;)

Try to isolate where the knock is coming from. Next time it's been sitting for 4 days in cold weather, get under the hood and let someone else start her up. Try to determind whether it's coming from the head, block or crankcase, front or back.

Try to isolate where the knock is coming from. Next time it's been sitting for 4 days in cold weather, get under the hood and let someone else start her up. Try to determind whether it's coming from the head, block or crankcase, front or back.

the knocking stopped after a minute... if it happens again tomorrow morning I'll try to isolate it.. hopefully it doesn't