Gear Shift Issue On 08 Es 350

Gassy

At 8400 miles I am noticing an issue in shifting from 3 to 4 at about 40 MPH.

Vehicle seems to lurch forward and then shift. Happens particularly on cold starts and improves at car warms up. I noticed that there were posts about this over a year ago. I figured this problem would be rectified. Anyone else with similar problem.

• 1 month later...

I have an '09 ES350 with 1000 miles. I noticed it today for the 1st time. The vehicle was fully warmed up.....been driving for at least 40 minutes. I find it hard to reproduce though.....seems like you have to have the throttle about 1/2 way down. I thought I noticed it between 2nd and 3rd.....but it may have been 3rd to 4th. I'll have to drive much more in order to pinpoint and reproduce the problem.

Edmunds.com's Forum on the ES350 had some excellent discussions on the causes of that problem. Seems to be more of design issue than an easily fixable problem.

Not that it helps, but Infinit G35's have a similar issue on how the programming works with the gears under a certain set of circumstances. I really disliked driving that car because of it.

I have an '09 ES350 with 1000 miles. I noticed it today for the 1st time. The vehicle was fully warmed up.....been driving for at least 40 minutes. I find it hard to reproduce though.....seems like you have to have the throttle about 1/2 way down. I thought I noticed it between 2nd and 3rd.....but it may have been 3rd to 4th. I'll have to drive much more in order to pinpoint and reproduce the problem.

Same model year and mileage for me. I have noticed what I'm guessing others have called a "shift flare" at least 4 times, and never when the car was cold. FWIW, it is my wife's car, and even though I have driven it for very few of those 1000 miles, I have repeatedly experienced this occurence. I as well can't yet tell if it was 2nd - 3rd, or 3rd - 4th. After all, it's my first car with more than a four speed tranny, and it is so smooth...