Antenna Replacements?

stylz

hi everyone

has anyone replaced the power antenna with a regular antenna on a LS?

i dont want to pay $300 for one...i need the motor too.

is there any way to get a antenna that screws on?

There is an excellent tutorial here http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/powerantenna.html and you can bite the bullet and buy a new Lexus motor complete along with a new mast for $300.00 here http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...p;siteid=213808

I just found out that the factory motor is unique to the radio on my 93 LS400. It has an amplifier and self adjusts it's height for the signal strength. I don't think you will have any luck with an after market screw on. Either take your chances with a used on from a reliable junk yard, ask about one on this site, or buy the new one. Or, do as we did in the 60's, hang a small transistor radio grom the rear view mirror.

Because you are needing the motor assembly and all, new, ebay, or a parts service for used items is about your only option for restoration to full functionality.

As a plan B, you may consider replacing the mast (as described elsewhere on this site) in your origional non-working unit. However, during the installation process, install the mast while extended, rather than collapsed. It will still be inoperable as far as raising and lowering, however, your reception will be good. Just watch-out when you go through a car wash.

Best of luck,

I'm not hearing the motor on my 95 either. (Just recently got it after my '90 was totaled.) The mast is broken with just the top stuck in. I'm thinking I need to take it apart and remove any of the nylon cord that may be jammed up in there. I'm hoping it will allow the motor to work after that.

Here's a thought for you stylz, to add to what Top Jimmy said, what about buying a new mast and file off the teeth (except for at the tip). This would allow you to raise and lower the antenna manually (I think). Not sure if that will work but just a crazy thought I just had.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did my antenna today. Bought a mast from eBay, 12.99, followed the instructions found here to remove the broken one. My nylon was in 3 pieces so I had to take the unit out of the trunk. Mind you, I am not crazy about working on the car in 37 degree weather here in Alabama. BUT...I surprised myself, very easy. Lexus makes them good and easy to work on especially when great instructions are on one of 2 or 3 sites. Max, 1 hour.