Dome Fuse Problem

imax5353

I have a weird problem. While someone else was driving my LS 400 they reported that the area near the sunroof started to smoke, and the dome light, radio, etc. now dont work. I checked the fuses and the dome fuse was blown, but when I try to replace it, when i stick the fuse in the starter turns even when the key is out. Any suggestions?

Strip out the area where it smoked and look for wires melted together etc...

In addition to doing this, remove the starter relay in the fuse box under the hood. Then replace the dome fuse temporarily. If the starter turns over, you probably have welded (power) starting contacts inside your starter. The starter relay controls the power contacts inside the starter.

Have you had starting problems with your car leading up to this?

I just recently replaced my starter because of internally welded contacts. It was the original starter and went 250K miles before dying. The power contacts carry a lot of current upon starting the car and they do wear out over time, although 250K isn't bad. I was surprised because usually, the contacts will burn up and no longer make contact when you try to start the car.

I didn't have any of the issues with dome lamp etc. It was isolated to just the starter.