Please Vote! What Do I Try First!

[font="Comic Sans MS"]MY 1993 LS 400 story. 6 months ago I went to the car wash. It was hot so I was running AC with no problems. When I left the car wash I stopped at a store and the Battery was dead, and it was 5 mint. utes later.AAA had no clue and had to jump it. I drove a half mile and stopped and same thing. wouldnt start. I decide to turn the AC off and then it started fine from then on. Then after a few months when it got cold out my wife turned on the heater. Same thing as the AC.Battery dead. So I stopped using the heater. Started fine. a month later I accidentally pushed the seat heater on and sme problem. Now when I step on brake while IDLING ONLY, the radio crakles so I turned off radio and now the clock (at night) flashes.

1. I checked the trunk wires an I peeled away the black tape and all the wires are stilled sealed together (do I undo the sealed connetions) .

2. I know some of you will say alternator, BUT the car NEVER shuts down while driving so how can it be the alternator?

PLEASE give me some help. I am not patient enough to tear the car apart. Th last car I worked on was a 1964 Pontiac when I was 18!

THANKS! I love this forum. You are all so helpfull. Lou

Sounds like your alt output isn't enough to charge the battery when you turn on a heavier load like a/c. Your battery needs to be charged enough while driving in order to start the car again later. If the alt output is too weak and/or drained by a heavy load, the batt doesn't get charged enough to start the car. Regular short trips/long idling w a heavy load will also discharge the batt enough to cause this prob. Have a shop do read outs (inexpensive) on your alt @ idle w no load & w load, @ 2000 rpm w no load & w load. My guess is that it will be under spec. I would also check the batt to make sure it's accepting and holding a charge properly.

Sounds like your alt output isn't enough to charge the battery when you turn on a heavier load like a/c. Your battery needs to be charged enough while driving in order to start the car again later. If the alt output is too weak and/or drained by a heavy load, the batt doesn't get charged enough to start the car. Regular short trips w a heavy load will also discharge the batt enough to cause this prob. Have a shop do read outs (inexpensive) on your alt @ idle w no load & w load, @ 2000 rpm w no load & w load. My guess is that it will be under spec.

ThaNKS. oN A SCALE OF 1-10 HOW HARD WOULD IT BE TI INSTALL AN alternator. How much is one and can I get one at autozone etc?

You can price them at the dealer or online. Can't comment on Autozone. One more thing to check is you batt connections. Make sure they're clean and tight. Also check the alt ground. Here are 2 links on how to diagnose/replace the alt.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=324038

http://www.lextreme.com/dx-starter.html

dont think i would buy an alternator just yet....better have it looked at...you can have a system diag done that checks the starter,battery,and alternator

THANKS PYTHON!. My mechsanic just left. I did the alternator. $156.00 at Kragen, and $100 labor. YES, I know he is cheap but good! I jst got back and ran AC full blast and now ALL symptoms are gone. Thank GOD! PS, my PS pump does leak but when I looked at the old ALT it was dry as a bone. Also, my baby has 188,000 miles so it must have been time. Thanks agian guys!