Engine Swap Or Head

sc3001994

Hi. I looked and read around and I got a little confuse to the load of info so I figure why not just ask. Sorry if I'm asking a question already answered somewhere in this forum.

I got a 94 SC300 2jzge all stock except flow master exhaust. 160k mi with a blown head gasket and it won't start probably due to the starter.

My goal is to get a reliable car with power when it is needed (300 - 500hp).

Questions:

1. Is it worth to do a full engine swap (2jzgte or 2jzgtte)?

2. What year engine should I swap at the cheapest?

3. Is it cheaper to swap only the head and modify the internals and add a turbo kit?

4. What supra year engine head would best fit if I go that way?

Thank you for your time.

I have a 1jz swap in mine. purchased the whole front clip of a soarer. every thing bolts up for the most part. you cant even tell mine is running. no dependability or drive ability issues what so ever. just a thought for you

good luck on your endeavors

Hi. I looked and read around and I got a little confuse to the load of info so I figure why not just ask. Sorry if I'm asking a question already answered somewhere in this forum.

I got 94 SC300 2jzge all stock except flow master exhaust. 160k mi with a blown head gasket and it won't start probably due to the starter.

My goal is to get a reliable car with power when it is needed (300 - 500hp).

1. Is it worth it do a full engine swap (2jzgte or 2jzgtte)

2. What year engine should I swap at the cheapest?

3. Is it cheaper to swap only the head and modify the internals and add a turbo kit?

4. What supra year engine head would best fit if I go that way?

Thank you for your time.

what transmission do you have, or want to have? Also who's doing the work, Shop or you/Friend?

I'd probably go with the engine swap. you can get a rebuilt or low mileage used Supra Turbo engine 2jz-GTE (pre-VVTi) or the 1zj-GTE, since you're in Hawaii, you should be able to find both imported from Japan.

The blown Head will cost you via a shop 12-1500, and then via a shop 200-800(shop fees) + $2-4k for the turbo kit, plus a few other parts.

I currently have a stock auto 4sp trans. I want to get a 5 sp manual tho. As for the labor, I will be doing it with the help from this site: http://www.ultimatelexustt.com/ and assistant from my friend whom I bought the lexus from.

You sound right about the that. I might as well get a swap instead of fixing the head, and adding a turbo kit will cost me more . So the swap will gain me more hp than just adding a turbo and modify internals? I heard somewhere that 2jzgte is stronger than 2jzgtte, how is that possible?

Single turbo. Less low end torque usually helps these smaller engines(3 vs 5/4.7Litre). for what you're trying to do (300-500bhp) you won't need to go with bigger turbo, and you could opt for a Hybrid turbo(t3/t4) but be careful with them because they worp your internals every easily. I've talked to Turbo Technics when I was racing in Europe, and they warned about the shortcomings of the turbos.

A front clip from a Soarer w/ the 1jz should include the engine and transmission for about 4k if you search.

Is phil locating the supra or soarer clips for you?

GTE is the Actual Engine Spec. for the Twin Turbo. the MArk IVs should have been the only 2JZ engine offered with a Twin-Turbo; the older one 7MEGTEs, 1jzgte, I believe, were single. GTTE is based on what people thought it should have meant.

GE and GTE stands for

Generated Engine and Generated Turbo Engine(GTE)

I'd stay away from the Ebay engines. Don't really know what you'll get, and might end up spending more. There is Florida based company who rebuild stock engines you can try, but I'm sure the best ones should be in California

It is hard to find 2jzgte engines here locally (Hawaii). And if there are, it is really expensive. I guess I will be looking at Cali then. I think with the shipping, it will probably match for what I will find here.

Do you know any sites or contacts in Cali by any chance?

Thank you for the info UCF3.

• 1 month later...