Starter

sc3001994

Hi, this is my first post. I got a 94 SC 300, 2jzge 24valve. My problem is that my car won't start. I am assuming it must be the starter. I haven't used my car for 6 months now and since I'm back, I would love to ride it again. I got a brand new battery from NAPA. I ensured the connectors to the battery is well connected. When I turned on the ignition, it made a grinding sound. When I tried it the second time, nothing happened. After several trys, i saw some smoke coming off the negative side of the battery wiring.

So what I'm asking for is if it is a good idea to go ahead and try to change the starter.

Thank you for reading.

Hey man, while I don't have an SC just yet, I do turn the wrench on other types of cars. The starter is typically the easiest part to pull off and replace. You should be able to take it to any auto parts store and have them test it... for FREE.

However, the smoking issue makes me think you might have another issue... If you have the time, pull the starter, get it tested, and see. One less thing to worry about.

Brian