New Struts For My '91 Ls400

17LexusOwner

I am sure there has been a topic about this in the past but I was not able to find it.

My "91 LS400 has been making a clanking noise with the front right strut since I bought it a year ago. It's time for new struts all around. My question is though, what are your recommendations as to what kind of struts I should get.

I was looking at a KYB setup because my dad said they are some of the best around. Any thoughts?

Your clanking noise most likely is coming from the bushings that attach the strut wishbone (upper control arm) to the car. They are pricey, but I got a couple of them for my car from Arnott industries. They were quiet at first but made a little noise after a while. Any clearance on those bushes and the car will make clunks and bangs over slow speed bumps and speed bumps in subdivisions. I know the sound is embarrassing for such a high end car, but it is a common complaint as you will find if you search for 'upper control arms' on this board.

BTW, Summit is one of the biggest rip offs in the idustry as far as price points. Find anyone of their products somewhere else and you will find they charge at least 10% beyond other retailers. Summit uses their stores to finance their racing efforts. Race gas is near $40 a gallon and you will pay for it in your parts from them!

Good luck!

Well I'm not talking about race gas....

I'm talking about 2 KYB GR-2 shocks for the front (~$75), and 2 KYB GR-2 for the rear (~$85) . . .

And I haven't seen them cheaper anywhere else.

I'd appreciate knowing where they are the though ;) I'm going to buy some if/when I lower it.