Ls400 Pulls To Right After Alignment

oldskewel

1991 LS400, ~163k miles. Previously owned by my in-laws since new. Well maintained.

has new lower ball joints

no obvious problems with suspension

I had it aligned 3 times in the last year, with the final one being very thorough - so I actually believe that the pull is not due to alignment. The mechanic agreed that the pull was still there.

I have swapped tires left-to-right and front-to-back with little effect.

Thinking that it might be dragging brakes, I jacked up the front and spun both front wheels with my foot. Both left and right spun about one full revolution after kicking down on the front of the tire (about as hard as I reasonably can). Does one rev seem to be too little? I know my Porsche will spin for several rev's. Still, since both sides are about the same, it seems not to explain the right-hand pull.

How much dragging should I expect for the front wheels? Any other tests I could do to quantify this? In general, I think the car does not coast as well as I'd like it to.

Any other ideas, comments, or recommended tests?

Thanks, Ed

More info:

- car does not have TRAC

- no weird noises anywhere

- yesterday, I shifted into N while coasting on a straight section. No change - it still pulled slightly to the right, and seemed to slow down more than it should.

Any ideas? Even comments on how much I should be able to spin the front wheel would help.

Thanks, Ed

If it DIDN'T pull before the alignment.... and now it pulls AFTER the alignment.....

maybe the technician working on your car made a mistake... why not take it back and have him check his work.....?

Sorry for any confusion.

I believe the alignment to be just fine.

I'm looking for ideas/tests/etc. related to a pull that is NOT caused by mis-alignment. My first guess is dragging brakes, but I'm also asking if there could be anything else that might cause a pull.

It pulled to the right BEFORE the alignment as well. That made mis-alignment the initial prime suspect, but it has since been checked off the list.

Again, let's consider the alignment to be perfect. Alignment is OK. So let's not talk about alignment. Wish I had named this thread something else. Something like:

"LS400 pulls to right, and I know it is not an alignment problem"