Alternator/ac And Power Steering Belt Squeal!

Garth Vader

My 1999 RX 300 has about 150,000 miles on it. I serviced it regularly at the dealership and then switched to a local mechanic at about 80,000 miles. Other than the infamous tranny meltdown reported by many users, the car has run mostly trouble-free.

During this past summer, if I started the engine with the Auto temperature button engaged (engaging the car's AC/Heating system), I'd get a horrible squeal -- presumably from the AC belt. Turning off the Auto button would immediately make the whistling stop. Once the car had idled for a minute or so, I could re-engage the Auto temp button, and the belts would run squeal-free. (I've never had a problem with the heating/cooling system). The obvious workaround was to disengage the Auto button before shutting off the car so it would be off when re-starting the car.

Toward the end of summer, I also noticed my power steering felt a little sluggish so my mechanic suggested replacing both belts, which made sense. They hadn't been replaced since the 90,000 mile service.

He replaced the belts but now, whenever I start the car (whether the Auto temp button is engaged or not), the belt(s) make a deafening squeal for about 15 seconds until the belt(s) correctly seat in the groove.

I brought the car back to the mechanic right away. He checked the tension and said all was well. He put a little anti-noise goo on the belt but next day, the belt(s) starting squealing again. The problem's gotten progressively worse.

I'm wondering if he replaced the belts with the correct aftermarket belts.

The larger/wider belt on top is a Contitech MultiRib 6PK 1045 (made in Romania). A second set of green numbers on the belt reads 26 03 07 (date of manufacture?). A third set of green numbers reads 10-86; 10-87; 10-88; 10-89; 10-90.

The lower, narrow belt reads Contitech MultiRib 4PK 880. There are a series of what appear to be sixteen green dots in a square (4 X 4) that may be characters or symbols but I cannot read them.

Does anyone know if these belts are wholly compatible with the 1999 Lexus RX 300?

Some of the aftermarket belts do not have the same v angle and will squeel. The other thing is the proper tensioning of the belts. You should not be able to twist the belt further than 90 degrees from its resting position, if so it is too loose...

try reading this post for the procedure:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272697

• 4 weeks later...

Garth Ive been having the same problem with my 01, that just hit 90K. Started this summer as just a quick squeal, but only when I started up with the AC left on. I changed both belts myself with aftermarkets from Advanced Auto. If you feel like you havent had enough frustration then this is a good project for you. The squealing went away til about a month ago, and now its a much longer and noisier squeal. Someone told me having the belts TOO TIGHT could wear out the bearings on the pulleys quickly. Not sure what the next step is ..

Garth Ive been having the same problem with my 01, that just hit 90K. Started this summer as just a quick squeal, but only when I started up with the AC left on. I changed both belts myself with aftermarkets from Advanced Auto. If you feel like you havent had enough frustration then this is a good project for you. The squealing went away til about a month ago, and now its a much longer and noisier squeal. Someone told me having the belts TOO TIGHT could wear out the bearings on the pulleys quickly. Not sure what the next step is ..

Been down that road and I would not use an aftermarket belt again, at least not on a Toyota or Lexus. Used Gates and they squealed when they were properly adjusted. Took them off and took them back and put OEM Toyota belts on and no more squeal. They are right, you shouldn't have to overtighten a belt to get them to stop squealing. The OEM Toyota belts were even cheaper than the aftermarket!

I bought a pair of Toyota belts and for extra measure sprayed them with that anti-squeal spray. Makes them grip better or something. but now when I start it up it just keeps squealin. its continuous!! Anyone ever had a pulley go bad?? I thought I had the belt tight enough. That bottom one is hard to work on. any tips? Thoughts?

I bought a pair of Toyota belts and for extra measure sprayed them with that anti-squeal spray. Makes them grip better or something. but now when I start it up it just keeps squealin. its continuous!! Anyone ever had a pulley go bad?? I thought I had the belt tight enough. That bottom one is hard to work on. any tips? Thoughts?

NJD- My own personal suggestion is not ever to use anti-squeal spray. Especially on Toyota OEM belts (which is the only thing I would use after my experience with after market belts.) Look at the factory Toyota belts. I don't know how they do it but the belts have a "flocked" appearance. I can't even imagine how that could "squeal". It doesn't wear off so it is something about how the belt is made. If you keep your old belts (I do to carry in case of an emergency (which probably won't ever happen) because you know they fit!) Put them back on and see if you still have the squeal. It will tell you what the problem is quicker than anything else. I worked for a full day trying to find what the squeal at start-up was and was tearing my hair out. I finally put the old belts back on and no more squeal! Went and got OEM belts and that fixed it. No more after market belts for me. That's not the 1st. time I've had problems with AM belts. Only OEM for me from now on. And I was using good name belts.

NJD-read my post #6. To top it off, when I went and got Toyota OEM belts- they were cheaper than the after market!!

You should not have to overtighten the OEM belts! (I did get the belts from Toyota, not Lexus. I had to ask for belts for a Sequoia because they don't have the cross reference for Lexus. They had a different number being from Toyota but were the exact belt.)