The Correct Antifreeze To Use

eli2k

Hello - I just realized today that there are different types of antifreeze and you have to use the right one. The one in my car (2001 ES300) is red right now; I was always used to blue/green antifreeze in the past. I haven't added coolant to this car yet (handed over to me a few months ago), but I had a bottle of antifreeze with me, and it says I can mix it with any color antifreeze so it doesn't matter. I'm just wondering what is the difference between different antifreezes, and is it better to use a specific antifreeze, or what I have right now is fine. I don't know if mixing antifreeze around is good.

Thanks,

- Eli

I found out the hard way that mixing some ant-freezes can be a bad mistake. I had some green stuff in the car when I bought it, but decided to go with Toyota red (non-premixed). I drained out as much of the green as I could (should have had it flushed!) and added the red stuff. Whatever was left in the system of the green stuff mixed with the red and turned into a gel-like gunk! I ended up having to get the whole engine flushed afterall, and the radiator was so plugged with the s**t it couldn't be cleaned out so I had to get a new rad too. Costly mistake! :(

Thank you for the heads up. I'm sorry your coolant ended up gelling, Luxucan, that must have been so frustrating. =/

Do only Toyota dealers sell the correct coolant? I can't drop by an Autozone to pick it up?

- Eli