Lexus Certified Car

redeldo

Hoping to go to the nearest Lexus dealer Saturday and see what they have on the lot. I have seen a number of "certified" cars and wondered if they are that much better than an uncertified one. The certified price seems a lot higher so do you all think it is worth the extra $$$?

I have read in the past that if one bought a preowned Cadillac make sure you have or get an extended warranty. Is that something that is needed on a Lexus or, does one just take a chance or, is it not likely to be needed considering Lexus quality?

I don't put much faith in 'certified' vehicles of any make. I've read many instances of 'certified' vehicles having problems shortly after purchase, and the dealership not giving any additional support even though the vehicle was 'certified'. A CARFAX history or an indie shop 'pre-purchase inspection' gives me more comfort and assurance than the dealership saying, "Oh yeah, this has been through our 641.5 inspection-point process and is now certified." ...uh huh... sure. Unless they are offering an additional warranty free because they are confident that their certification ensures the vehicle will be reliable.

Extended warranties are always helpful, but often limited. It's more of a personal choice on whether you want some extra protection or not.

While it's always possible to get a lemon, or a car that slipped through the cracks, I think Lexus CPO cars are a good buy considering the warranty you get. I would always have it checked out for a second oppinion though. Both of my parents drive CPO cars with good luck, one a Toyota, one a Lexus.

You can buy a better Lexus factory warranty on any Lexus under 50k miles up to 100,000 miles for $1500. The CPO warranty is not transferable to a new owner, the extended warranty is.

The work they do on CPO cars varies from dealer to dealer. I'd be more interested in the individual car than whether it was CPO or not.

You can buy a better Lexus factory warranty on any Lexus under 50k miles up to 100,000 miles for $1500.

I have a '97 ES 300 with 43,000 miles, would this be an advisable/viable option for me?

Where can I find more information about this?

TIA,

Cat

Unfortunately your car is out of the 4 year 50k mile original warranty so you can't buy a Lexus new car Platinum warranty. You can buy warranties, but they'll be aftermarket...

Thanks Steve, the "4 year" qualifier certainly puts this one out of eligibility.