Gen 2/3 Nav Update 8.1 Installed

YoTa2LeX

Hey guys, I have been the silent observer for about a year now. I have an 02 LX470 that had Nav version 3.1 installed. I ordered 8.1 from Sewell Lex about 2 days ago and just got the 8.1 disk from FedEx today. I installed it and guess what!!! THE BYPASS HAS BEEN LEFT IN PLACE. Everyone has been complaining about the lockout feature being taken out of prior versions. I guess www.lexusisnotmymom.com got somewhere because I can still bypass drive through the secret menu and enter new destinations while driving. No hack.. Just popped in the new disk and drove OFF!!

1022081111.jpg

1022081120.jpg

1022081121.jpg

Hope this helps those that are weary of spending the 200 duckets on a nav update. Still abit much.

Sorry, I was searching "wink" "wink" all other options without buying it from the stealership, but ultimately justified it as a end of year business expense write off and forked up the $230 for it from Sewell Lexus. It was worth it I feel. Espescially because the over ride is still in place!!

The override was never removed from Gen2/3 units.

It was removed from newer units..

However, it looks like they did rearrange the menus to prevent people from accidentally hitting the Loading buttons which can kill the unit.

Check out the previous menus..

http://lexus-toyota-nav-trouble.blogspot.c...01_archive.html

Would you happen to know what additional streets/changes they've made to the nav from the previous years? Is there any way to input the actual tire size you're running (say, non-OEM sized tires)? I know on my old version ('03 gen III), you can tell it you have new tires, but it assumes the OEM size.

Would you happen to know what additional streets/changes they've made to the nav from the previous years? Is there any way to input the actual tire size you're running (say, non-OEM sized tires)? I know on my old version ('03 gen III), you can tell it you have new tires, but it assumes the OEM size.

Hey Jim...I know there is a post floating around that actually showed the screen present during install, but this weekend I will scan the pages of the manual that came w/ the disc. This manual shows all areas that detailed route guidance has been added. There are a good amount of them! Coolest is most of Canada has been added. Dont know if I'll ever use it, but....Hey, if I ever wanted to try it.

As for the second part, I have never seen the wheel size option! Sounds like a good idea!

• 2 months later...
just had my 2005 LX470 Nav system software updated by the dealership.....override is gone.....now I am *BLEEP*ed.....Atlanta

Hey Atlanta,

You have a Gen 4 system in your LX, by the way. Gen 2/3 doesn't lose their override. Sorry that you lost your override on the latest update. There was another post by a guy, named scottroy I believe it was, who also updated his system and was assured by lexus that it would not lose any functionality.

He found like you did that he lost override ability so he took it back and had them remove the update and put his old disc back in and refund his money. The dealer did not know how to "downgrade" the system, but we got Scott to remove power from the nav system for a few minutes and it reset for him.

The best we can hope for with Gen 4 Nav while retaining the ability to override is to run what is called a hybrid disc. You can use the data from as current as 6.1, but you have to substitute the LOADING.KWI file from 5.1 or earlier.

Many of us Gen 4 guys run that disc and it works great. It isn't exactly the most updated info, but for our area it is close enough.

Sorry man for your little surprise on the update. :(

There is a link in my sig that will tell you how to find out what updates were added since the last update. That will help you decide if the update is worth the money.