120k Service

DanaGon

I have a 2000 ES with 120,150 miles on it. I had the oil changed today at the Lexus dealership. I was told I also need the 120k service which is the same as the 60k service. I was given a handout on the 60k service. The cost for the service is $1550.62 What is really a "must" with the service? 1/2 of it seems to be routine inspection. The timing belt I understand. Also, what does timing belt replacement usually cost? I noticed another forum member posted the charge at their dealership for the 60k services was $600.

thanks in advance,

Dana :unsure:

I think the timing belt change interval on your car is 90,000 miles -- same as on our 98 Camry and 00 LS400. Check the schedule in the maintenance manual that came with your car.

A 60,000 mile maintenance on your ES300 should cost no more than the 60,000 miles maintenance on a Camry V6 -- the ES300 and Camry V6 are virtually identical mechanically. I just now checked our records and saw that in 2002, the 60,000 mile maintenance on our Camry V6 cost $292 not including tax at a Toyota dealer. Prices may have gone up a bit but I would expect to pay no more than $400 today for a 60,000 miles service on our Camry V6.

Heck, the 60,000 miles service on my 2000 LS400 V8 cost only $370 not including tax in 2005. The 120,000 miles service will cost more than the 60K mile service on my 00 LS since spark plugs are replaced only every 120,000 miles on the 2000 LS400. Check your maintenance manual to see the frequency of spark plug replacement on a 2000 ES300.

I suggest you look for a reputable Lexus dealer, an independent repair shop, or see how much a Toyota dealer would charge to do the 120,000 mile service. It might help to get bids from several shops.

It's a good idea to verify that the repair shop is going to do exactly what is specified in your maintenance manual. Some dealers and repair shops will pull all sorts of stunts to pad their profits. If you can't find a decent shop down in Arkansas, drive up to Kansas City and I'll introduce you to one of the best indie Toyota/Lexus repair shops on earth. People drive some pretty long distances to have my friend Ben's shop service their cars.

I second 1990LS400's input. That price for a 120K 'service' is pretty astounding, and yes, much of it is just checking things like fluid levels and the basics, but at 120K those things should be checked. If you know nothing about vehicles, then having someone do all the checks is a good choice. If you know your way around vehicle maintenance, then I would go through the list, see what you can check yourself or perform yourself (like spark plugs), then note the major things that a shop really needs to do (like the timing belt/water-pump), then go to a reputable indie shop/dealership and have them do the noted work.

BTW, can I ask what your reasoning is to take your vehicle to the dealership for routine oil changes at 120K miles?

I second 1990LS400's input. That price for a 120K 'service' is pretty astounding, and yes, much of it is just checking things like fluid levels and the basics, but at 120K those things should be checked. If you know nothing about vehicles, then having someone do all the checks is a good choice. If you know your way around vehicle maintenance, then I would go through the list, see what you can check yourself or perform yourself (like spark plugs), then note the major things that a shop really needs to do (like the timing belt/water-pump), then go to a reputable indie shop/dealership and have them do the noted work.

BTW, can I ask what your reasoning is to take your vehicle to the dealership for routine oil changes at 120K miles?

Thanks for the response. I took it to the dealership for an oil change b/c it was due for an oil change. The cost of the oil change includes a wash and detail so, it is reasonable. Plus, the Lexus dealership is closer than the Toyota dealership. :)

Dana

I think the timing belt change interval on your car is 90,000 miles -- same as on our 98 Camry and 00 LS400. Check the schedule in the maintenance manual that came with your car.

A 60,000 mile maintenance on your ES300 should cost no more than the 60,000 miles maintenance on a Camry V6 -- the ES300 and Camry V6 are virtually identical mechanically. I just now checked our records and saw that in 2002, the 60,000 mile maintenance on our Camry V6 cost $292 not including tax at a Toyota dealer. Prices may have gone up a bit but I would expect to pay no more than $400 today for a 60,000 miles service on our Camry V6.

Heck, the 60,000 miles service on my 2000 LS400 V8 cost only $370 not including tax in 2005. The 120,000 miles service will cost more than the 60K mile service on my 00 LS since spark plugs are replaced only every 120,000 miles on the 2000 LS400. Check your maintenance manual to see the frequency of spark plug replacement on a 2000 ES300.

I suggest you look for a reputable Lexus dealer, an independent repair shop, or see how much a Toyota dealer would charge to do the 120,000 mile service. It might help to get bids from several shops.

It's a good idea to verify that the repair shop is going to do exactly what is specified in your maintenance manual. Some dealers and repair shops will pull all sorts of stunts to pad their profits. If you can't find a decent shop down in Arkansas, drive up to Kansas City and I'll introduce you to one of the best indie Toyota/Lexus repair shops on earth. People drive some pretty long distances to have my friend Ben's shop service their cars.

Thank you! I'll check with the Toyota dealership.

Dana