Weird Power Steering Problem

So my 1992 SC400 decided to have a power steering leak. I believe it was in the high pressure hose, which is located under the car almost perfectly center. It was leaking where the metal bracket meets the actual rubber hose. I have a parts car, so I decided to swap the hoses. The hose fit perfect, and we then tried to "Bleed" the power steering. My friend told me we should bleed the power steering through the line we just swapped. I listened, and I turned on the car, and the fluid did go through but not as much as I thought. I turned the wheel Lock to Lock many times, as I've read about. You could hear the air coming out, and the PS pump stopped whining. We connected the hose, and let down the jacks. I drove the car and the steering was pretty hard, not normal, but the PS pump was not whining. Also, when you open the reservoir, there is A LOT of air going through, and it's very continuous...We tried to "Bleed" the system again, but it's like we were back at step 1 with the PS pump whining again. I'm confused, and I think we are not bleeding the system correctly. I'm pretty sure the PS pump is NOT the problem. It has never given me ANY problems, I just wanted to fix this leak, and ran into all this nonsense. I have seen the thread about "How to bleed the PS system on a 90-94 LS400" should I try this technique? Will it work on the SC400? Sorry about the lengthy post, but I wanted to be very descriptive.

If anyone was curious, I was incorrectly bleeding the power steering. The LS400 bleeding worked like a charm. Heres the link... http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/psflush.html

The link you provided does not work. Can you double-check it for me? I have a 95 SC300 that has a whining Power steering pump. I appears to work fine except it is noisy. There does appear to beair bubbles in the fluid. Perhaps bleeding the system may correct the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
That link is working fine for me...But if you're still having trouble, just type this into google.com:

LS400 Power Steering lexls.com

It will be the 2nd link, the 1st link shows you how to rebuild the pump.

Here's the link. The rebuild tutorial includes how to rebuild the power steering pump for both LS400 and SC400 (they are slightly different).

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/steering/