Alternatives To Lockpick

Hi All,

I just spoke with Lockpick and have determined that it won't work in my 2006 RX 400h. It seems the only Lockpick that will work with a Gen.4 Nav system is the Lockpick1 and if you use a nav database greater than 6.1, you lose the capability to change the destination while moving. Since I need the improvements in the later databases, I guess I'm out of luck. Does anyone know of any competitors or alternatives to lockpick?

Thanks!!

Thanks Tom,

I got an e-mail response w/in hours of posting my question and they confirmed my conclusion. I'd love to hear from anyone w/a gen. 4 nav system using lockpick 3 and a nav disc >6.1. That would confirm that I received bad info.

Mark

AFAIK Lockpick is a guy and his wife. That's the company. Without them, you'd have nothing. Give'em a chance.

I did and fully support what they do but they haven't provided a solution for those of us(2006 RX 400h) that want to have the latest database and still be able to change the database on the fly. There was nothing in either of my posts that could be interpreted as "not giving them a chance". I gave them every chance and they just don't offer a product that works with my Lexus. I'm not complaining, just relaying to other 2006 RX 400h owners that they don't have a solution. There's likely a lot of other 2006 owners that would like that capability. That said, there must be hardware/software issues that prohibit Lockpick's development of such a product? I'm just looking for an alternative from other members.

Hi All,

I just spoke with Lockpick and have determined that it won't work in my 2006 RX 400h. It seems the only Lockpick that will work with a Gen.4 Nav system is the Lockpick1 and if you use a nav database greater than 6.1, you lose the capability to change the destination while moving. Since I need the improvements in the later databases, I guess I'm out of luck. Does anyone know of any competitors or alternatives to lockpick?

Thanks!!

I just purchased a 2006 and my son wants to connect his Ipod (that is what the lockpick does right?)

Anyhow it has NAV, how do I know what Nav system and database version?

Hi All,

Thanks!!

I just purchased a 2006 and my son wants to connect his Ipod (that is what the lockpick does right?)

To determine the database version, push the "Menu" button below the nav screen. In the upper right corner of the menu screen you'll see a button called "Map Disk". Push that button and a new screen will appear which reveals your nav database version. As for your Nav generation, I believe that all 2006 RX400h's are generation 4. Once you know your nav generation and database version, you can use the table on the Lockpick site to determine what will work in your RX. In my case, there wasn't a Lockpick device which would allow me to change the destination on-the-fly with a database > 6.1. On another note, I use a Vaistech unit (http://www.vaistech.com/) for XM radio and iPod connectivity so you don't have to use a Lockpick product if all you're looking to do is hook-up your iPod.

Try this company

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/pdfs/DVD...de_pamphlet.pdf

I have heard it works well and will be buying one in the near future

Thanks! Unfortunately, they don't offer any products for the RX. Perhaps in the future?

You're not yet out of alternatives. If you're savy on the PC (or know someone who is), you can custom write your own DVD, containing the older software loading files, and containing the new map data. What that gives you is a DVD that'll work with the lockpic. It works. It's what we've done. The thread is here, just do a search. Good luck!

I have an old lock pick that I removed from the 07 RX400H that was traded in for the GS450H. The only thing it does is allows you to use the NAV, it does not do anything with the phone or radio. If you want it I will sell it cheap.

PS the lock pick works but not that well. It give you a few seconds (10 to 20 seconds) to input info, then it blanks out for a few seconds, until it comes on and repeats the cycle over and over till you get all the info entered

Lockpick has nothing to do with Ipod connectivity. It just let's you enter a new Nav destination and use the cellphone via bluetooth (not sure if that is for all models and generations) while the vehicle is moving.

2006 RX has Gen. 4 Nav.

Lockpick has nothing to do with Ipod connectivity. It just let's you enter a new Nav destination and use the cellphone via bluetooth (not sure if that is for all models and generations) while the vehicle is moving.

2006 RX has Gen. 4 Nav.

You do not need lockpick to use a bluetooth cell phone. As long as you dial the number from the cell, or use the voice dial the cell will work fine while the car is moving. The lock pick I had still required you to stop the car to dial usig the NAV screen

2006 RX has Gen. 4 Nav.

You do not need lockpick to use a bluetooth cell phone. As long as you dial the number from the cell, or use the voice dial the cell will work fine while the car is moving. The lock pick I had still required you to stop the car to dial usig the NAV screen

First,

Lockpick DOES have something to do w/ Ipod connectivity. The ULTIMATE LOCKPICK can TURN ON YOUR VIDEO AND AUDIO INPUTS for use with Video iPOD without the need for adapters.

Second,

You DO need lockpick to use a bluetooth cell phone ... IF you want to dial your entry right off the MFD, while in motion. That's the main thing of greatness with the lockpick ... you don't HAVE to reach for your phone, and then read tiney buttons on the phone to dial (while watching traffic), or scroll thru the phone's database on who to dial. The Lexus' MFD screen is WAY easier to read for dialing ... both screen buttons, and data base saved phone books.

In fact, if you have the older Lexus that lets you bring up map inputs via entering through the maintenance screen, there really IS no reason you'd want a lockpick, except for the phone entry on the fly.

2006 RX has Gen. 4 Nav.

First,

Lockpick DOES have something to do w/ Ipod connectivity. The ULTIMATE LOCKPICK can TURN ON YOUR VIDEO AND AUDIO INPUTS for use with Video iPOD without the need for adapters.

Second,

You DO need lockpick to use a bluetooth cell phone ... IF you want to dial your entry right off the MFD, while in motion. That's the main thing of greatness with the lockpick ... you don't HAVE to reach for your phone, and then read tiney buttons on the phone to dial (while watching traffic), or scroll thru the phone's database on who to dial. The Lexus' MFD screen is WAY easier to read for dialing ... both screen buttons, and data base saved phone books.

In fact, if you have the older Lexus that lets you bring up map inputs via entering through the maintenance screen, there really IS no reason you'd want a lockpick, except for the phone entry on the fly.

My cell phone has voice dial and I just assumed most cells do, if I want to make a call I just say, Mom, Joe, Mary, Pizza ect. I guess if your cell doesn't have voice dial the lock pick would come in handy. Then lock pick I had / have does not do anything for the phone, it didn't matter to me because I hand no use for it