Loose Rear Wheel

I have a weird problem where my rear passenger tire shimmys on while driving at any speed. I don't know if it is the ball joint or the sway bar bushings. I am going to replace the sway bar bushings this weekend. The weirdest thing is that I am able to pivot the wheel side to side just by kicking the side of it. Does anyone know what that means or what the culprit is? I would like to try to replace the part myself if possible.

What ever it is, it's not good... at all. Could be loose bolts on the lower mount of the strut, could be worn bushing on the spindle mount. You don't have a ball joint back there, since it's a fixed trailing wheel (only front spindles have ball joints). Either way, you really need to get that car up on some jacks and take a look at ASAP. You should be able to readily see what is flexing/moving back in there once you get the wheel/tire off.

Yeah, it should jump right out at you as the problem once you get the car up. It could be something as simple as the strut bolts being loose, or it could be something that makes you look and say, "Oh man... that could have broken while I was driving and I could have lost my entire rear wheel assembly!! Let's hope it's the former and not the later. Either way, be sure to let us know... now I'm curious as to what you've got going on. Pics are always helpful, too!

I figured out what the problem is this weekend. The control arm bushings are dry rotted and pretty much gone!! There is no isolation from the control arm and the bar on car that it attaches to. So when I hit a bump or I get to at least 40, the wheel rocks side to side the same distance as if the bushings were in place. Now my question is, can just the bushings be replaced or do I have to get an entire new control arm assy?

I think you should be able to pretty easily do this yourself. The rear suspension isn't very complicated, and with some basic tools, a good breaker bar, and an afternoon's time, you should be able to pull it all apart. I think this is the basic assembly http://toyheadauto.com/J-pegs/Camry93RearcontrolArm.jpg ...looks like everything is right in plain view with easy access.

I am sure once I get the wheel off that I can figure it out. Thanks so much for the pic, it definately helps when I have a visual aid to go by. Will I need 1 or 2 bushings for the right side? I am thinking about doing the left side as well so I guess I should just get them all at 1 time.

I like the way you think there... definitely do both sides while you've got it up and apart. If one side is toast, you can be assured the other side isn't far behind.

Unfortunately you'll need two bushing kits for each side. There is a fore and aft control arm for each side (they are interchangeable between right and left sides, but not fore and aft... I believe the bushing kit fits all of them equally). The best deal on bushing I can find is on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=250302938427 ...this is the same price you'll find elsewhere for bushing for just one control arm, but this seller is including two of them for the same price. To do both sides completely, you'll need two of these kits.

You may want to really inspect your suspension to see how worn the other bushings are. Replacing all of them is always good practice, and if your funds allow it, but if your other bushing are in good shape, then it may only be critical to replace the truly decayed ones.

Let us know how it works out.

I need to replace my rear bushings as well, but those bushings on Ebay are the same ones I've seen listed for the front control arm. So my curiousity is peaked as to whether or not they work.

Oh man... I hope they do, too. I just checked the listing and it doesn't say anywhere if it's for the front or for the rear. They look like they should fit based on the image of the rear control arm below. Also below is what came up on a search for the front bushings (see image). If they don't fit, that seller should refund your money (including shipping, for his listing is not clear and he states he will refund shipping if it's an error on his end) for not having his listing clearly identified... you might want to see if you can send the seller a note right away and get him to clarify before he mails them out.

If those aren't the right ones, then it seems they might not sell replacement bushings, just the entire control arm... and that really sucks because those are pricey!

post-34901-1223526800_thumb.jpg

post-34901-1223528515_thumb.jpg

post-34901-1223662626_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...