Waterfall From Engine....

OK, 1993 ES300 140000 miles. In the past I have had overheating problems but learned to deal with it. I did all of the necessary maintenance changing the thermostat, water pump, caps etc... The car would still lose coolant, no major leak just drips from the inlet cap, it wouldn't over heat as long as I kept the radiator full of coolant. So, for the past year in a half and adding coolant every morning I drive to work with no problems. When I get out of work I check the radiator for coolant, the radiator is empty. I add coolant and add coolant and add coolant. When I look under the car all of the coolant I had put in was gushing right out. I tow the car home and I lift the front end, I get under the car to see where the leak is coming from. And for conformation purposes I placed the water hose in the inlet and turned it on. With the front end lifted, on the engines driver side under the intake manifold theres a hole, thru that hole water is gushing out like a freakin waterfall. Did I miss something? Is there a hose or cap that goes there? Need Help.

Post a picture. It sounds like a freeze plug, though. Also, our radiators can get a bit clogged over time. That might be the slight overheating problem you have.

If its a freeze plug, now is a great time to install a block heater. a great thing for your cars value even if you dont live in a cold area.

• 2 weeks later...
Post a picture. It sounds like a freeze plug, though. Also, our radiators can get a bit clogged over time. That might be the slight overheating problem you have.

Here are some pics. The thing is right beneath the distributor cap. I ordered a freeze plug online but the thing is way to big. So I question if this is a freeze plug?

post-19725-1224163391_thumb.jpg

post-19725-1224163409_thumb.jpg

post-19725-1224163637_thumb.jpg

Darkwingduck,

The water caused discolouration around the hole, the shape of the opening with the bossed outer and inner ledges, telegraphs that this is a frost plug hole. You are playing with engine destruction if you continue to drive the car before getting a new plug installed! Go to a good mechanic and get him to properly install a new metal plug, or go to an auto parts store and get an "expandable plug" , one that fits the inside diameter of the interior bossed ledge that you can see inside your 2nd and 3rd photos. These plugs can be installed by a DIYer with a half inch wrench or ratchet in less than 2 minutes. Just be sure to push it all of the way into the inner opening so that when it expands it does so on that inner ledge. There is not enough of the outer ledge to properly grip the plug. I just replaced one 3 weeks ago that fell out of the engine block of my 1954 MG TF while I was driving it. It wasn't properly installed during the car's restoration since it just fell out and wasn't corroded in any way. ( Fortunately the smell of coolant was immediate when it fell out, as was the instant rise in temperature on the temp gauge, and my killing the engine and coasting to the side of the road.) The expandable plug should last the life of the car so your problem should be corrected. Good Luck!