Brakes- When To Do Them? 06 Ls430

HKinDC

I need the guidance of more experienced LS owners

Took my 06 LS430 into the dealer for the 30K service. They say it needs brakes as the pads measure 6/32 and the light will come on at 5/32 to 4/32.

the LS is unique and If the light comes on, then the sensor wire needs to be replaced which is $80 per wheel.

So I brought it to my local shop- which I trust. they said it measured 7/32 and they usually don't replace them until they are at 4/32 - but they are not as familiar with the LS, of course.

So, if I wait until about 5/32- I get another 10K out of them. This seems like the best solution.

What do you other LS owners use as a gauge for getting the brakes done?

BTW my 06 is maroon with tan and 18" wheels - best looking and best running car I ever had! Only shortcoming is sound system and no Ipod input or MP3 CD ability.

The front brake pads on my 2000 LS400 were replaced for the first time in March 2006 at 71,293 miles a day or two after the brake message was displayed on the trip computer. Often sensors can be reused but in this case one sensor had to be replaced -- at a cost of $55.18 including labor. I got similar life from the front brake pads on my 1990 LS400 - replaced them only twice in the 183,500 miles I owned the car.

Unless you are braking your car very hard, you should expect to get a similar mileage from your front brake pads if you wait for a sensor to trigger the brake message in the trip computer display. It is not unheard of for dealers and repair shops to want to prematurely do brake jobs to make a little more profit. You might want to look for a repair shop you can trust.

The original pads on my 00 LS are still just fine at over 103,000 miles. I check the pad thickness each time I rotate the tires and my current estimate that they will last until about 125,000 miles.