Broken Steering Column

STEVEPAIGE

HI ALL, NEW MEMBER TO YOUR FORUM FROM ENGLAND. I AM A LOC GOLD MEMBER AND HAVE HAD AN UNUSUAL PROBLEM WITH MY LS400 (1997) WHICH WAS THE STEERING COLUMN PART THAT IS DESIGNED TO BRAKE UPON FRONT IMPACT BROKE ON MY LS400 WITHOUT ANY PROVOCATION, FORTUNATLEY THE CAR WAS STATIONARY AT THE TIME AS THERE WAS NO STEERING AT ALL AND I DREAD TO THINK WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF THIS HAD HAPPENEND AT SPEED. MY LOCAL LEXUS SAY THEY HAVE NEVER HAD TO REPLACE THIS PART EXCEPT AFTER AN ACCIDENT, BUT I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYBODY ELSE OUT THERE HAD HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM - REPLIES PLEASE GUYS EITHER BY EMAIL OR ON THIS FORUM.

STEVEPAIGE

I think you are talking about the driver air bag which is designed to deploy only during accident. Never heard any problem like this. I think you should call Lexus and complain, hopefully they will pay for the repair. Good luck.

I do not remember reports on Lexus forums about a part like this breaking.

Precisely which part are you referring to?

Are you talking about the "sliding yoke" in the engine compartment -- the u-joint one can see where the steering shaft exits the firewall into the engine compartment?

Or are you talking about the breakaway parts under the dash in the passenger compartment -- the little clips and plates that hold the steering wheel shaft in place but break away in a crash?

HI GUYS

Thanks for the input, and sugestions,it is the the lower steering shaft conection to wot looks like a weener with ribing and it is joined to the shaft that exits through the lower cap by a universal joint at aboute 30 degrees

steve

Maybe weiners were used as the lower steering column shaft on U.K. models. The one on my U.S. spec car appears to be made from steel. Sorry, I couldn't resist a little kidding. I know this is a serious subject.

I used a flashlight and I see on my car the part you are talking about. Did the shaft itself break or did the bolt that holds it to the U-joint under the dash come loose?

I've certainly never heard of anything like this happening. Do you know if your steering column has ever been repaired? As you probably know, the tilt/telescope system sometimes goes bad and sometimes has to be disassembled to replace a variety of parts including the tilt and telescope motors. Could someone have made an improper repair?

Or ... do you know anyone who might be trying to "do you in"? Are you getting along with the wife or girlfriend? Or ... wife AND girlfriend? Any gambling debts? You might want to check your brake lines to see if they have been tampered with!

How expensive is it to fix this problem?