Lights!?

BigBuggie

Hey guys,

So I'm sitting in my driveway last night, I look down at the dash and my Add oil, Add coolant, Parking brake and battery light all come on at once. Obviously Im not taking the actual warnings seriously. What could have caused this??

Peter

Next anti-lock light, Then lights flickering when the brake pedal is depressed. Lights dim when the windows are in use. Then lights out all together when the HVAC system is turned on. Then shut the car off, Try to restart, clickety clack. Hmmmmm now what could this be ;).

Pete

Before you spend big bucks, replace the battery or at least have it checked. If it is the original since 1995 you have gotten your money's worth.

Another thing to try is to charge the battery, if it will take a charge, and see if the car will run OK for awhile - then the alternator is suspect if running the car drains the battery.

Ok,

Battery checks out. Took a full charge and tested under starting load ok. Threw it back in and she cranked up. Not the normal crank, Still a bit slow. The dummy lights are still on however?? Add oil, Add coolant, Antilock, P Brake and Batt.

Guess Ill have to run it to work tommorrow and see what happens.

If the batterys fresh, Wouldn't the dummy lights go out?

The trunk wiring harness?

Pete

Ok,

Battery checks out. Took a full charge and tested under starting load ok. Threw it back in and she cranked up. Not the normal crank, Still a bit slow. The dummy lights are still on however?? Add oil, Add coolant, Antilock, P Brake and Batt.

Guess Ill have to run it to work tommorrow and see what happens.

The trunk wiring harness?

Pete

I would not drive the car. As I said earlier, those sound symptoms of a failing alternator.

Continuing to drive the car could lead to a serious accident. When the alternator gradually began to fail on my 1992 LS, I felt lucky that the 2 times my car stalled was exiting the freeway and in my own driveway.

I do not think that the trunk wire harness could be causing this problem.

Pete

Not necessarily. If the battery is fully charged then the things completely dependent on it would show good. Everything else depends on the alternator and would light up. It appears the alternator is toast. Under those circumstances the alternator should be romoved and taken to Kragen, Checker, AutoZone, or whatever is in your area that will do a free alternator test. You can proceed from there after verifying the condition of the alternator.

It is awfully easy to get stranded with a dead alternator. I'd advise taking your other Lexus to work on Monday.

What if it is the infamous trunk wire harness?

Diagnosis is as easy as opening your eyes. And costs $0.

FREE > NOT FREE! B)

It could be, but I think that is unlikely. I don't know of anyone who has ever reported this symptom with the problem being the wire harness.

When there are broken wires in the trunk harness, I think it is usually just the reverse indicator light that starts acting up when the brake pedal is depressed. I don't know of anything in the trunk that would cause the oil, coolant, battery, and brake lights to come on.

Almost always, when all four of those lights come on, the problem is the alternator. Since the original poster states that the starter still turns slowly, I think we can be pretty sure that there is a problem with the alternator/charging system.

Ok, Thanks for all the help guys.

I found a remanufactured Denzo at a local shop for $199.

I have a feeling this isn't the best price, Unfortunately I don't have time to shop.

Thanks again, Peter

Oh, BTW. I can't seem to find a tutorial on the job. The lexus DIY site I usually use (forgot the name of it) dosen't have one. I guess it's a pretty straightforward job?

Any links to a good tutorial or something.

Thanks guys,

Threw it in and all the lights went out. Everything seems good. Still cranking a bit inconsistently but I'm gonna wait on the starter, I have a good feeling.

What a pain pushing the new one up into place! My arms were pooped! Oh well.

Thanks again, Pete

Thanks guys,

Threw it in and all the lights went out. Everything seems good. Still cranking a bit inconsistently but I'm gonna wait on the starter, I have a good feeling.

Thanks again, Pete

Ummm wow.. ok i think i'm in the same boat except my 90 LS400 is still cranking up.. I'm pricing an alternator now. the battery is semi old , going to autozone to do test.. ..

but this damn trunk wiring harness has me stumped.. wth?

and when i look @ the lexls.com i didnt see a tutorial for the alternator.. any suggestions??

There is a small grouping of wires covered under a piece of plastic, in the left hinge of the trunk lid.

If you look at it and wires are exposed, this can cause quite the medley of phantom problems including strange lighting problems and other things. Fixing it is as simple as soldering everything back into place, and letting them hang freely.

There is a small grouping of wires covered under a piece of plastic, in the left hinge of the trunk lid.

If you look at it and wires are exposed, this can cause quite the medley of phantom problems including strange lighting problems and other things. Fixing it is as simple as soldering everything back into place, and letting them hang freely.

OK So the battery was toasted so i replaced with a new one.. but the dash lighting problem still exists... Guess it's time to go pop the trunk... Will keep ya'll posted..

OK So umm me and a friend went and popped the trunk and went thru all the wires.. everything was Good... so went to sleep woke up the next day driving into work.. i get this.. (while driving (See attached Pix)) the first post-80436-1222965183_thumb.jpgone came on for about a minute and then the secondpost-80436-1222965196_thumb.jpg came on for about 2 minutes while revving the car in neutral @ a stop light.. whenever they come on.. the lightning goes dim and you can feel a lil decrease in power of the car... I moved the car maybe 2 or 3 time in my parking garage but it only comes on after some distance of driving....

WHAT the Heck is it?? Someone help!!

Check the alternator?????

I did the old fashion way by removing the positive wire from battery and seeing if car would turn off it didn't.. i thought that the alternator would just go bad all together not give you warnings as such....

I'm go to Ammco today to get a full diagnostics done ... i think they do it for free..

OK So umm me and a friend went and popped the trunk and went thru all the wires.. everything was Good... so went to sleep woke up the next day driving into work.. i get this.. (while driving (See attached Pix)) the first post-80436-1222965183_thumb.jpgone came on for about a minute and then the secondpost-80436-1222965196_thumb.jpg came on for about 2 minutes while revving the car in neutral @ a stop light.. whenever they come on.. the lightning goes dim and you can feel a lil decrease in power of the car... I moved the car maybe 2 or 3 time in my parking garage but it only comes on after some distance of driving....

WHAT the Heck is it?? Someone help!!

It's an alternator problem. The multiple warning light problem has been reported on this forum many times, and it has been fixed by replacing the alternator which often times fails from a leaky power steering pump. ;)

Thanks again, Pete

It's easier to install the alternator if you turn the LS upside down, gently setting it on it's roof. Then you can simply drop the alternator in. Lots easier on the ol' arm muscles. The only hard part is getting the LS back up on all fours! :D