Body Work/detail Experts - Need Your Opinions

cjc

Long story but will try to keep it brief. Bought Certified GS and upon delivery noted many, many scratches and blemishes particularly on the hood. Asked them to take care of them. So, brought it in for several days. In addition to this they had to repaint the bumper because the clearcoat was peeling like a bad sunburn.

Anyway, when I get it back, my windshield is pitted with thousands of minute particles. I can't swear they were not there when I bought it as I had only had it a week but I think I would have noticed this. My theory, something happened while it was undergoing this work that caused it. However, I'm a white collar female and don't have any clue about any process that would have been attempted.

Could you guys who are so knowledgeable about these things, pose a theory?

And, what would YOU do about it if it was you?

Thanks kindly in advance,

Carolyn

Dallas, TX

Long story but will try to keep it brief. Bought Certified GS and upon delivery noted many, many scratches and blemishes particularly on the hood. Asked them to take care of them. So, brought it in for several days. In addition to this they had to repaint the bumper because the clearcoat was peeling like a bad sunburn.

Anyway, when I get it back, my windshield is pitted with thousands of minute particles. I can't swear they were not there when I bought it as I had only had it a week but I think I would have noticed this. My theory, something happened while it was undergoing this work that caused it. However, I'm a white collar female and don't have any clue about any process that would have been attempted.

Carolyn

Dallas, TX

Hi Carolyn -

You are not crazy!

It sounds as if they repainted the hood (assuming it is acceptable now) and to prep it for painting they took off all the paint while FAILING to mask the windshield. Are there pits on the front of the side windows as well? Just a few, not to many.

I would definitly accuse them of this, if you feel this is a liklely scenario.

Are you dealing with Park Place Lexus? They have a huge comittment to customer satisfaction and I am confident they will go out of their way to make good on the problem. They worked hard to win the Malcolm Baldridge Award which is extremely challenging for a car dealership to win.

Best of luck!

Dave

Yes, Park Place Lexus in Plano. How are you aware of them as you are in Cali?

Anyway, I don't know if they repainted the hood or not. They definitely repainted the bumper. One guy said they were going to "color sand" (not sure if that was the exact term - but something like it) the entire car though since it had so many small scratches. What is this process if you know?

I don't want to accuse them of something if I don't know for sure...but in my heart I believe they did do it.

Thanks for your reply.

Carolyn

Carolyn

Dallas, TX

Hi Carolyn -

You are not crazy!

It sounds as if they repainted the hood (assuming it is acceptable now) and to prep it for painting they took off all the paint while FAILING to mask the windshield. Are there pits on the front of the side windows as well? Just a few, not to many.

Are you dealing with Park Place Lexus? They have a huge comittment to customer satisfaction and I am confident they will go out of their way to make good on the problem. They worked hard to win the Malcolm Baldridge Award which is extremely challenging for a car dealership to win.

Best of luck!

Dave

Yes, Park Place Lexus in Plano. How are you aware of them as you are in Cali?

Anyway, I don't know if they repainted the hood or not. They definitely repainted the bumper. One guy said they were going to "color sand" (not sure if that was the exact term - but something like it) the entire car though since it had so many small scratches. What is this process if you know?

I don't want to accuse them of something if I don't know for sure...but in my heart I believe they did do it.

Thanks for your reply.

Carolyn

Hi again -

It is going to be challenging to resolve this if you "want to know for sure" since my theory could be incorrect (possible but, unlikely).

Speak to the individual you have been working with (Service Advisor) and insist the pits were not there when you brought them the car. Ask him/her how this could have occurred when it was in their custody? Then, no matter what, say nothing - let the silence pressure him/her to fill in the silence. If you don't like his/her answer tell him/her so. Continue to discuss it as a rational person then, ask to speak to the Service Manager and go thru the steps again.

Express your disappointment if they do not agree with your contention.

Go home and phone the GM and leave a message that you are unhappy and the MB Award is at risk should you be contacted.

Again, good luck!

D

Carolyn

Dallas, TX

Hi Carolyn -

You are not crazy!

Best of luck!

Dave

Carolyn

Dallas, TX

sounds like they did some body work (sand blasting) without properly covering the windshield. However, you said you are not sure it was or was not there before you purchased. Simple, bring it back and tell them you noticed after you got it back. See what they say. If they won't replace it, then look at your insurance policy.

Do you have glass coverage? Most windshields are covered under comprehensive. In MA we are allowed 1 free windshield per year if we have the proper coverage. If it deemed a safety hazard, then I don't even have to pay a deductable. See how you are covered.

steviej

Carolyn

Dallas, TX

sounds like they did some body work (sand blasting) without properly covering the windshield. However, you said you are not sure it was or was not there before you purchased. Simple, bring it back and tell them you noticed after you got it back. See what they say. If they won't replace it, then look at your insurance policy.

Do you have glass coverage? Most windshields are covered under comprehensive. In MA we are allowed 1 free windshield per year if we have the proper coverage. If it deemed a safety hazard, then I don't even have to pay a deductable. See how you are covered.

steviej

Yeah, I agree. See what they'll do about it. If they won't do anything/deny and you got no pictures to prove otherwise, might need to go insurance route.

If anyone is following the saga I will keep a running post.

Yesterday after retracing everything in my mind, I came to the conclusion they really did do it while it was in their body shop. So, I emailed the Used Car Manager at Park Place Plano Lexus and told him my belief. I explained my position and that I wnated the windshield (and some other items) fixed or replaced. Further, I told him that I know PPL has a solid Customer Satisfaction rating so I expected no issues from them on the matter but that, if they were going to push back, to please call me.

A couple of hours later, I got a reply from him and he simply said, "he would handle it; and to tell him when it was in service and he would work with them." I found this very comforting and am happy to have it in writing from him that it would be taken care of.

Now, proof is in the pudding. I don't take it in until Monday, so will update this board with results either way if anyone is interested. It's always good to provide real results, good or bad, so that the Dealer reputation is positively or negatively impacted publicly. My 2 cents anyway.

Thanks all,

C

• 3 weeks later...

Now for the epilogue to the story as promised.

Yesterday, Park Place Plano Lexus had my windshield replaced at their expense. No problems, no hassle. Very top notch service. So far, so good.

Thanks to all you people who contributed.

C

;)

Now for the epilogue to the story as promised.

Yesterday, Park Place Plano Lexus had my windshield replaced at their expense. No problems, no hassle. Very top notch service. So far, so good.

Thanks to all you people who contributed.

C

;)

Life is good! :D