Buying An Ls 400 With Problems?

tpeene

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and new to Lexus. I've always owned BMW 5 series but I'm looking to buy a Lexus LS 400 now. I've found a Lexus LS 400, 180.000km/110.000miles and it's built in 2000. The price is reasonable, but it needs some maintenance according to the dealer. I've tried to do some homework, but it's really hard to find information about a newer Lexus. Most information is about the 90 to 95 types. So that's why I'm trying to do my homework here.

The maintenance it needs according to Lexus:

Replacement of the timing belt, waterpump ($1300)

Replacement of the powersteering pump ($1800)

Replacement of the front suspension (hope I translated it right) ( $1400)

I live in the Netherlands, and I've done my best to convert from euro to dollar. The prices are ex. 19% tax. Tires and regular mintenance is beeing done as we speak. Now I have a few questions:

- Are nr 2 and 3 common repairs for a Lexus with 110.000 miles on it?

- Are these justified prices? I'm used to repairs on BMW and I thought Lexus wouldn't be much higher, but these seem double the price of a BMW dealer. The belt and suspension seem high, but the steeringpump looks a little to expensive to me. It's a huge problem on the earlier model but haven't found out why it has to cost so much on a newer model.

- Which of these can be done by a regular mechanic that doesnt have much Lexus experience? (I have 2 in the family, so I'm gonna check them out later)

Hope you can help me!

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and new to Lexus. I've always owned BMW 5 series but I'm looking to buy a Lexus LS 400 now. I've found a Lexus LS 400, 180.000km/110.000miles and it's built in 2000. The price is reasonable, but it needs some maintenance according to the dealer. I've tried to do some homework, but it's really hard to find information about a newer Lexus. Most information is about the 90 to 95 types. So that's why I'm trying to do my homework here.

The maintenance it needs according to Lexus:

Replacement of the timing belt, waterpump ($1300)

Replacement of the powersteering pump ($1800)

Replacement of the front suspension (hope I translated it right) ( $1400)

I live in the Netherlands, and I've done my best to convert from euro to dollar. The prices are ex. 19% tax. Tires and regular mintenance is beeing done as we speak. Now I have a few questions:

- Are nr 2 and 3 common repairs for a Lexus with 110.000 miles on it?

- Are these justified prices? I'm used to repairs on BMW and I thought Lexus wouldn't be much higher, but these seem double the price of a BMW dealer. The belt and suspension seem high, but the steeringpump looks a little to expensive to me. It's a huge problem on the earlier model but haven't found out why it has to cost so much on a newer model.

- Which of these can be done by a regular mechanic that doesnt have much Lexus experience? (I have 2 in the family, so I'm gonna check them out later)

Hope you can help me!

Because money is an issue with me, I have never taken one of my cars to a dealer to get work done. Take it to a neighborhood shop of sorts that specializes in upscale cars. Don't tell them what is wrong with it other than a leak or a noise that is obvious and don't tell them you have taken it to Lexus and got a quote. If you are not sure of a shop, check the BBB in the area for any negative info on one that you find. Also, you might ask a neighbor or friend where they take their cars for service.

tpeene,

I also have an LS400 manufactured in 2000: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...m&album=131

Replacement of the timing belt and water pump every 90,000 miles on a U.S. specification LS400 of any model year is normal maintenance. The recommended interval may be different in your country.

In July 2007, I paid $1,317, ex. tax, for the 90,000 mile service which included the replacement of the timing belt and water pump. The work was done at an independent repair shop.

Also in 2007, I paid $582, ex. tax, at a Lexus dealer for the replacement of the front suspension strut bars. The strut bar bushings are often the first front suspension component that fails. I do not understand which portion of the "front suspension" you mean. Does the LS400 you are looking at have steel springs or air suspension?

As you noted, the power steering pump on the later LS400 is much more reliable than on the early cars. I had the power steering pump replaced on the 1990 LS400 I owned several times with a rebuilt pump and I do not remember the replacement costing more than about $400. I do not know why the replacement of a power steering pump would cost $1800.