Engine Cleaning.

Kangae

I was looking at my engine today and noticed that it could be cleaner than it is right now. This got me to thinking, if I was going to go about cleaning my engine, how would I do it. I know my cousin (and some other people I know) frequently just blast their engine with a hose. But then I heard a story about someone who accidentally got their CPS wet in their Supra and had to replace it. I would like to avoid ruining electrical components, but would also like to clean my engine.

I guess if it comes down to it and I need to do small spots at a time I will, but if anyone knows a better way to do it I would love to hear about it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to admit going to the car wash and blasting my 03 Ford Expedition engine. The engine light went on about a mile down the road. Then it started chugging and missing. What did I screw up? I have no idea. I'm guessing something with the electronic ignition. But damn, no body ever looks at the engine, except the oil change guys and me. Who cares, the risk is too great.

After !Removed! this up, I recommend you leave the engine dirty, in fact demand that it remain dirty. Don't do as I did and end up doing who knows what to your motor, getting it screwed up and eventually having to haul it into the shop for costly maintenance. Unless you are going to do an engine overhaul, which I believe needs to be done at the 750,000 mile point on the Lexus, let the guy who rebuilds your motor clean it with a scraping tool.

I used Black Magic Engine Shine 2-1 in the link below there is the product and video aobut it. My engine is clean and had no problems covered the air flow sensor and kept the plastic covers on top of the engine. If you plan to take all the covers out I advice covering the sensors to avoid problems, that is with the engine off after it has been warm as the product states just before you put water in it. I may need second applications on extremely dirty areas which you could do without using a hose, get you a spray bottle with water for those hard spots. The results are impresive, but be as careful as possible.

When you reinstall the plastics use Mothers Back to black, black chrome shine and your plastics will look new.

CPR

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

B) I use blackmagic ..so I have to agree with jcrome and cardona...usually if I take it to the car wash i use the spot free rinse cycle of the wash and dont use pressure..if it is dirty enough that with detergent and a light spray wont clean it best to do it by hand..try to just lightly spray over the electronic and air system, making sure you dont soak it...and leave your engine running while you do it..(spray with water)...this keeps it hot enough and with electrical current running through the parts so as it will burn off a light amount of water without trying to restart it wet when you have finished. Its also best to let it run for a few minutes with the hood up so it will evaporate into the air not into the fire cloth that is on the hood..this could make alil more mess if you steam clean it over the engine...lol.. :chairshot: