Gx470 2004 ( Pros / Cons )

mann777

Hi all I am new to this GX forum as I have been ardent LS fan, I plan to pick up a GX470 2004, just want to know the pros and cons for vehicle, what should i look at , Expecially the fuel efficiency adn what repairs normally to be looked at. Appreicate ur replies.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all I am new to this GX forum as I have been ardent LS fan, I plan to pick up a GX470 2004, just want to know the pros and cons for vehicle, what should i look at , Expecially the fuel efficiency adn what repairs normally to be looked at. Appreicate ur replies.

I bought a 2004 GX 470 with 50k miles last year. I have put 50k on it in the last 16 months no problems at all drives great - love it!

Sorry if this is a late reply.

Gas mileage should be around 11-13 city, 17-19 highway (conservative figures)

Problems to watch out for: Sulfur Smell, Clunk, Leaning (if equipped with KDSS), and steering wheel vibration..

But don't be scared about those problems as they can be fixed. Enjoy the GX and post any questions if you have any! :)

The 05 with the VVT-i only recommends premium too, it wasnt til 06 it was required. As far as I know, there is no diff between the 05 and the 06 powertrain. Sometimes I wonder how important is this 91 octane requirement on an engine thats is not what I would consider high compression.

Really? I heard that once they switched to VVti that it requires premium 91.

I also wonder why some vehicles require premium while others don't. The V8 4Runners do not require premium, and the Highlanders and Siennas do not require premium and they have the same engine as the RX350.

Maybe it has to do with the ECU programming, the GX can take advantage of the higher octance and the runner does not. Maybe its all marketing, the GX is rated for more torque but only while using premium. I believe the latter is true, all 4runner, GX, RX can run on 87 ocatnce with no problem. The differnce will be performance, especially when towing.

• 3 weeks later...

[thank guys.. the car has been taken, the car has been in great shape, except for the mileage, which is 110 on the clock, what could i forsee on the maintenance side. Also my business partner in Hong kong picked up a car from the dealer in WA and exported it, He want to reprogram the radio frequencies tuned to the even numbers, whereas now you only can scan which are odd frequencies numbers, what is the best way out.