Satellite Radio Activation

mhawkin1

Last week I had a loaner car with satellite radio, when I returned the car I inquired about the activation of the satellite radio. The dealership told me it would be $500 for the parts and $200+ for installation. They did not mention a monthly charge.

Is this standard? It sounds a little pricy to me since my car has a satellite radio button, which I assumed meant the service just needed to be activated?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Last week I had a loaner car with satellite radio, when I returned the car I inquired about the activation of the satellite radio. The dealership told me it would be $500 for the parts and $200+ for installation. They did not mention a monthly charge.

Is this standard? It sounds a little pricy to me since my car has a satellite radio button, which I assumed meant the service just needed to be activated?

Unless your purchased a Satellite Radio option when you got the car, you do not have a Satellite Radio - just the selection button on your radio. I think you can get XM or Sirius. The two companies have now merged and I believe new radios are being designed so that users can receive signals from both satellites. I believe that XM is $12.95 a month with a quarterly subscription. I have XM receivers in my two GM vehicles (Silverado and Corvette) and neither of them are activated. I don't care for the sound quality of the GM XM receivers - no dynamic range. I don't know if it is the GM receiver problem or excessive compression by XM (maybe a combination of both).

I just ordered the Lexus iPod adapter (which connects where the satellite radio normally connects) so my wife can listen to music she likes with good quality (the Lexus is my wife's car).

What is your opinion of the satellite radio sound quality in the loaner you had? Was it XM or Sirius?

John

All,

I just gave up Xm in my old Acura when I moved to the ES350. I liked Xm but thought the price and no NFL was going to be a deal breaker.

Lexus wants $5 large for the boxes and another $200.00 for hookup, check ebay, there was someone on ebay that had Xm or Sirius boxed brand new

for $250 or so, If I do XM again, that is the route I'm taking....

Rob

'07 ES350

'Pearl'

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say that's a good price from the dealer. I was quoted almost $1,000.

There is a company called Vais Technology that sells an after-market unit for about $300.