Engine Light On

efer

Hi I have a 2000 Lexus RX300. Friday morning on my way to work the engine light came on solid then the car felt like it was going to stall so I turned around and parked the car, I get oil changes when they are due and I am very concerned that this car is going to start to cost me alot of money. has anyone had this problem with their car . any suggestions on what this might be?

update 8/27/08

I took the rx300 to my mechanic today it ended up being three engine coils that cost $670

It's probably just an 02 sensor. No big deal. You'll need to have the car scanned to get the codes, and replace the one that has gone bad. Happens all the time, with all makes and models.

It's probably just an 02 sensor. No big deal. You'll need to have the car scanned to get the codes, and replace the one that has gone bad. Happens all the time, with all makes and models.

thank You for your fast response... that takes a load of my shoulders. not that it is definite but thanks

Many times the owner will not ever notice the difference in operation when your car does throw a code. The biggest difference may be in fuel economy or, perhaps, a slightly roughter idle. As suggested, you can get a free code scan at Advance Auto/Auto Zone and others. They might even do it for you if you have never done it.

One of the expendable items on our vehicles is the oxygen sensor and they are relatively cheap and easy to replace. In addition, I have seen codes, on this forum, for MAF sensor, IACV sensor, and others. If you do your own work, do a search and see what pops up.

Hi I have a 2000 Lexus RX300. Friday morning on my way to work the engine light came on solid then the car felt like it was going to stall so I turned around and parked the car, I get oil changes when they are due and I am very concerned that this car is going to start to cost me alot of money. has anyone had this problem with their car . any suggestions on what this might be?

Sounds like it could be the infamous IACV. Which is about as good a problem to have as you could get. How many miles do you nave on the RX? Do you do any of your own work? Has the IACV ever been addressed in the past? If you do any of your own work (if a scan for TC's does indicate that), I would personally suggest taking it off to clean it rather than doing it on the car, I think it will last longer. If you take it to the dealer, they will most likely just replace it and it will probably run you $450.- $500. Cleaning almost always fixes the problem. Good luck and let us know what you found out.

Also, it may be the Maf sensor- in which case that can also be cleaned quite easily. If either one are the case do a search and you'll find a ton of info on dealing with them (or on the other Lexus forum).

Sounds like it could be the infamous IACV. Which is about as good a problem to have as you could get. How many miles do you nave on the RX? Do you do any of your own work? Has the IACV ever been addressed in the past? If you do any of your own work (if a scan for TC's does indicate that), I would personally suggest taking it off to clean it rather than doing it on the car, I think it will last longer. If you take it to the dealer, they will most likely just replace it and it will probably run you $450.- $500. Cleaning almost always fixes the problem. Good luck and let us know what you found out.

Also, it may be the Maf sensor- in which case that can also be cleaned quite easily. If either one are the case do a search and you'll find a ton of info on dealing with them (or on the other Lexus forum).

I have 120,000 miles and I took it to my mechanic today and it ended up being 3 engine coils wich cost me 670 dollars

I have 120,000 miles and I took it to my mechanic today and it ended up being 3 engine coils wich cost me 670 dollars

You learn something new every day- I have never heard of 3 COP's going bad at one time. Did the mechanic say what might have caused that? That is highly unusual!