Truck Leans To One Side.

NicLX470

My bad on the topic, it leans to the LEFT, not right. On my 98 LX470 I have noticed that when it is parked and you look at it from the rear; the truck looks like it is leaning to the left. I measured the distance from the front wheels on each side to the fender and the drivers side is about an inch lower than the passenger side. What would made the truck lean to one side like this? Even when you raise the height with the AHC it still raises and lowers but always stays about an inch apart from the rest of the truck. I asked once about new shocks and the Lexus rep said that they should never need to be replaced. He said they are part of the AHC system. So why would the truck sag to one side like this? After looking at some of these posts, if it is a problem with the AHC it seems very expensive to fix!! <_<

And also when coming out of a turn, when you let the steering wheel go and the power steering takes over, more times than none I can hear and feel a "pop" type noise coming from either the steering components or something like that under the front end of the truck. What could that be?

• 1 month later...
My bad on the topic, it leans to the LEFT, not right. On my 98 LX470 I have noticed that when it is parked and you look at it from the rear; the truck looks like it is leaning to the left. I measured the distance from the front wheels on each side to the fender and the drivers side is about an inch lower than the passenger side. What would made the truck lean to one side like this? Even when you raise the height with the AHC it still raises and lowers but always stays about an inch apart from the rest of the truck. I asked once about new shocks and the Lexus rep said that they should never need to be replaced. He said they are part of the AHC system. So why would the truck sag to one side like this? After looking at some of these posts, if it is a problem with the AHC it seems very expensive to fix!! <_<

And also when coming out of a turn, when you let the steering wheel go and the power steering takes over, more times than none I can hear and feel a "pop" type noise coming from either the steering components or something like that under the front end of the truck. What could that be?

I own a 1999.... and it also leans..... even the wife says to me, "Hey, what's wrong with your truck??? IS it leaning over."

Of course my answer is, "What? No.... can ya make me a sandwich?!?!"

Are your torsion bars tight? If not, that could cause that side of the front suspension to sag. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of that makes a popping noise is CV joints. Looks like it'll require dealer diagnosis. Don't worry, one can replace the AHC with an OEM landcruiser suspension for about $1200 if you buy the OEM parts online and DIY.

• 3 weeks later...
I had this problem at 36k. Two dealerships kept chasing sensors and changed them. I had the accumulators changed on the truck. This fixed the problem. Try changing the fluid in the AHC.

I should change just the fluid? Or the accumulator on the front drivers side? The truck still rides very smooth....though a rattle trap.

I had this problem at 36k. Two dealerships kept chasing sensors and changed them. I had the accumulators changed on the truck. This fixed the problem. Try changing the fluid in the AHC.

I should change just the fluid? Or the accumulator on the front drivers side? The truck still rides very smooth....though a rattle trap.

Most probably the torsion bar mount is loose on the sagging side. Tighten all the bolts. Then , with the weight OFF the wheel on the low side, tighten up the adjusting bolt one half a turn at a time till the height (after bouncing a few times) is right on. Simple adjustment

Remember me when you DO need accumulators (B&BSuspension) 'activesuspensionsystems.com

• 1 year later...

Just an update... I read the reply by Texasoil.... jacked up the truck with a mechanics floor jack, threw a socket on the torsion bar nut / drivers side (which I needed to turn 3 1/2 times in increments of 1/2 - the first turn did absolutely NOTHING) and BINGO... the truck was as close to level as you could wish for..... I hope this 5 minute fix doesn't cause other damage, like over stressing the torsion bar, BUT I will say Thank You.... it probably saved me $500 to $1,000 at Lexus....

I am now doing my AHC accumulators for a different symptom, but the torsion nut turn was a God send....

I never did get that sandwich...

Rob