Auto Mirror Not Autoing On '01 Ls430

Rickster1

The right side mirror on my '01 LS430 will not fold into the car as it is supposed to either on auto on manual modes. It seems a bit loose, but is solid when I am driving. Before I break down and take it to the dealer, are there any suggestions? Before I attack it with my handy screwdriver and other tools, how do I get into the assembly to see what the problem is, without causing more damage. :rolleyes: I am not afraid to try, but I do not have a shop manual, so any suggestions are appreciated.

I doubt if the shop manual would help much. I have the two volume repair manual set for my 2000 LS400 and it glosses over how to remove the outside mirror.

On my 00 LS, the repair manual says to remove the upper door garnish (inside trim) by twisting inward and pulling upward -- it is supposedly held in place by clips. Once removed, there are three bolts exposed that hold the mirror to the door -- but it might be different on your LS430. The procedure looks "iffey" to me -- I'd probably let a dealer or body shop do it.

Questions on how to remove the outside mirrors have been posted a number of times on www.clublexus.com. You can find them on that forum by searching for mirror in the LS430 forum. No one seems to have responded on exactly how to remove the mirrors.

I see a number of people on clublexus reporting that their outside mirrors on their LS430s have stopped folding. Some have gotten them to work by spraying WD40 into the crease where the mirror pivots and by manually folding the mirror in and out until it frees up. WD40 is awfully evil stuff - it can really gunk things up - so I suggest you use silicone spray if you want to try this. Attach a plastic tube to the silicone spray can nozzle so you can spray the stuff into the crack.

My LS400 repair manuals has a section on diagnosing problems with the folding mirrors on LS400s sold outside the U.S. -- 2001 was the first year for folding mirrors on US spec LS cars but they were available on earlier LS models in many other markets. The diagnostic procedure is kind of funny in that whenever the mirror motor assembly fails an electrical test, the recommendation is always the same -- "Replace mirror assembly". There are never instructions on how to fix the problem without replacing the whole assembly.

I'll attach a TSIB from the ARRC website about mirror noise on the 01 LS430 -- might give you an idea how the mirror is attached.

Nice to hear that you fixed your sunglass holder!

2001_LS430_mirror_noise_TSIB.pdf

Try the silcone first. After spraying, try working the mirros back and forth using the manual control. I have had both mirrors replaced twice under warranty and it would have been veryexpensive if I had to foot the bill. I believe that it was $922 per replacement.

Thanks for the tips. Will try the silicone. I tried the just moving back and forth but the motor, while seeming to run (making noise) does not want to move the mirror. I was afraid taking the mirror off might be a bit complicated. Not surprised at the $900 or so to replace. The mirror may stay in the non-auto mode for a while if the silicone does not work.