Rx 300 Turning Radius

billexus

I have always been annoyed by my 01 rx300's enormous turn radius. Maneuvering in parking lots or turning around on a two-lane road are comical. Does anyone know if this was done on purpose (maybe to cut down on roll-over )? When I drive my wife's gs 400 I get to experience the other extreme. Anyone else bothered by this? Is there any way to improve a turn radius?

Oh my God - that has been my #1 complaint w/my 02 RX300 awd. My husband refers to the car as my little backhoe. I believe that Lexus has modified that problem substantially since the 02 models. I was driving a Benz before I bought the RX and believe me, it was like night and day. I have to say though that primarily the turning radius was really the only thing that I didn't like about the car. Other than that, I was pretty satisfied.

i recently traded in my 2001 RX300 for a 2005 RX330 and was extremely pleased to discover the 330 had a much more "normal" turning radius for a car of its size. Agreed, the RX300 was like a backhoe, just ridiculous the number of three-point turns I had to make over the years. All gone now!:)

No way to solved it. I have the AWD and in Europe parking lots are not as big as in the US, so imagine. I need always to do two or three movements where I drive over with my little MB A class. Anyway, it is the only black spot of the car. I tried for three weeks the new model, and I prefer the 2001.

No way to solved it. I have the AWD and in Europe parking lots are not as big as in the US, so imagine. I need always to do two or three movements where I drive over with my little MB A class. Anyway, it is the only black spot of the car. I tried for three weeks the new model, and I prefer the 2001.

Yes, I agree - I have a '99 AWD RX300, and the pachydermic turning radius is probably the most annoying defect of the car. I also prefer the earlier RXs to the later RXs, and I am waiting for the new (2010?) RX or the rumoured smaller Lexus SUV to appear, to decide whether to stay with Lexus or to go elsewhere.

Same complaint here. Original owners of a 99 and it's pretty pitiful. Even worse that the Ford Tauruses that my company provided for 15 years.

I always believed that the problem came from the Camry platform/suspension. When they put the larger diameter and wider tires than the suspension was originally designed for they had to reduce the steering angle to prevent the tires from rubbing on the suspension and wheel wells.

Glad to hear it was address on later models.

i recently traded in my 2001 RX300 for a 2005 RX330 and was extremely pleased to discover the 330 had a much more "normal" turning radius for a car of its size. Agreed, the RX300 was like a backhoe, just ridiculous the number of three-point turns I had to make over the years. All gone now!:)

I also just purchased a 2005 RX330 and I do see an improvement in the turning radius over my fiancee's 2003 RX300. With his vehicle, we have to do a back-up before entering the garage under the house, but my vehicle can zip right into the bay on the first attempt. He's very jeolous!