Should I Buy A Rx300?

aklexus22

I have the option of buying a RX with 50000 miles and in need of a new tranny--OD doesn't work. Know the history of the vehicle and am able to pick it up for $6000 looking at about $6200 to fix. whadayathink?? I'm a newbie and would appreciate any response :rolleyes:

I wouldn't even consider it. There's no way that a 2000 RX300 would be worth more than $12,000 which is what you say you'll have to spend in order to buy it and then get it in driving condition....

That sounds like a good deal on the car but the price for the transmission seems pretty high, most here talk about $4200-5000 at the dealer and $1500-1000 less than that at an independent shop so I would do a little more research on transmission prices. Other than the trans is the rest of the RX in good condition?

Jeff

Vehicle was just used by an older gent to go golfing--barged up here from Colorado this summer. Price also includes both anti-knock sensors. Body, tires, interior in good condition. Recent trade at dealer was a 01 with 26000 went for 18500.

From what I've read pre 2001 had a lot of tranny problems. You're confirming it too with the tranny replacement. From what I know now I wouldn't advise buying it.

In all fairness, you know coming in that it will probably need a new tranny so thats really a moot point and its factored into the cost. A new trans should cost under $5000, as JGR mentioned, more like $3-4k. Have the engine checked for sludge and if its clean you should have a fairly nice vehicle for at or around $10,000.

Who diagnosed the tranny? There are several things that can keep it from shifting into OD besides a bad one. Knock sensor, 02 sensor, MAF etc. Any codes?

This one might be a steal for you!

Vehicle was just used by an older gent to go golfing--barged up here from Colorado this summer. Price also includes both anti-knock sensors. Body, tires, interior in good condition. Recent trade at dealer was a 01 with 26000 went for 18500.

Uh, I just re-read your post. How about some more info on those knock sensors. I'm getting my $ out to bet the tranny is fine.

If you need a replacement tranny check your local junk yard. I've been told trannys from 02 & 03's will work with 99 & 01's. 02+ tannys are better. Our local yard has an 02 hit in the rear. The tranny is already gone.