Leaking Around The Engine Block?

Hey Lexus friends... :lol:

My Lexxxy, dats wut I call her, overheated a couple weeks back.. She's still sick. Looked around in this site for an answer. But gave me alot of things to look over in the future.. Don't get me wrong, they were all great answers. Anyways, I changed my thermostat, flushed the radiator and found out that wasn't the issue. Water pump maybe? Bought the pump and the timing belt but it is not installed yet. Trying to find a good price on the labor. U guys know how that is....

My hot air stopped working. No leakage on the ground.. I did see wet stuff(coolant?) around the engine block. I'm not sure what it is.. Could it be a blown head gasket? If anyone out there knows, please point me to the right direction. I just don't wanna take it to the mechanic and get charge up the !Removed! for something I COULD HAVE DONE MYSELF..

What were the circumstances when it overheated? Did you go into the red and for how long? If you didn't go into the red, then not likely it's the head gasket. Does it overheat now? What's your coolant level? Is there coolant around the hoses or reservoir cap? If it's still overheating, how soon after you start it? After the thermostat, the next likely cause could be the pump or pulley. When was the pump/timing belt last replaced. Be forewarned, if either are seizing/seized your timing belt will start shredding shortly afterwards. You don't mention the year of your SC, but if you have an interference engine, you'll have to replace more than the belt when she goes!

Well this topic seems to keep appearing ever since I figured mine out, there is a heater hose at the back of the block, you cannot see the base of it unless you lay on the motor and look down with a flashlight, it is a little tough to get to which is why I am sure not many have been replaced, it comes up from the center, and turns towards the passenger side of the car and leads to the heater core. You won't think that it is the problem at first since you cannot see around the entire hose, but it will blow, you won't think that it is coming from there but more than likely it is. Take a look.

Jared

I have a 94 SC400.. when it overheats, the temp gauge hits the red pretty fast.. It was steaming white smoke around the engine one day.. She still overheats. coolant level is fine. I waited til the next morning when she is cooled down to start her again.. Once she warms up then maybe 2-3 minutes later, the temp gauge just goes straight up.. I do hear some kind of SIZZLING sound in the back of the engine near the firewall... My car has 150k on her. The timing belt was changed around 101k... ANY IDEAS? :huh:

I have a 94 SC400.. when it overheats, the temp gauge hits the red pretty fast.. It was steaming white smoke around the engine one day.. She still overheats. coolant level is fine. I waited til the next morning when she is cooled down to start her again.. Once she warms up then maybe 2-3 minutes later, the temp gauge just goes straight up.. I do hear some kind of SIZZLING sound in the back of the engine near the firewall... My car has 150k on her. The timing belt was changed around 101k... ANY IDEAS? :huh:

But was the pump and pulley/tensioners replaced along with the timing belt?

that is a very good question.. I don't think so. Could that be the issue? I have the water pump and timing belt kit and Ima have a certified Lexus mechanic put it in for me. He is charging me $50 an hour for labor.. that's the cheapest I can find around my area. I will give u an update later.. thanx for all da replies. B)

Without looking at the car, most likely. what did the tech say? $50/hr is how much my Toyota Certified Master Tech charges me when I'm lazy.

She's alive!! Just got her back today. She is running perfect.. The leakage around the engine block was a sign of my water pump going out. Also, he told me that when I brought my car to his shop, it was lacking coolant. He said that next time I should fill it up through the neck by the inlet housing unit. I've have been filling it through the reservoir. Overall, he did a great job... Thx for everyone who replied to this forum.. U guys are great!