Es - Gs Comparison

I recently had my front brakes and rotors replaced on my GS430. Because of a minor miscommunication, this repair took two full days, which had me cruising around in the dealers ES350 loaner car. All GS owners should spend a couple of days in the ES to fully appreciate your GS again. Granted, the FREE loaner car is probably a base model with the absolute minimum in creature comforts and features. And, I realize the price difference in these cars is substantial. But OMG...it felt like getting out of a bucket and into a big soft warm rubber glove. The ES is a nice car, but no comparison...not even close...

Perhaps LS owners will argue the GS is a bucket. I was just really shocked at the difference in fit, finish, and feel. The loaner car was two year models newer than my GS. I can't believe the same manufacturer builds these two cars.

I was actually quite fond of my ES. I haven't driven an ES350 so I can't comment there.

In response to the original gripe:

I will suppose that you could say the same thing for any car manufacturer when you compare a higher level sedan with a lower lever.

For example,

I am sure a BMW 7 or 5 series is going to feel different and probably more refined than a 3 or 1 series.

Same goes for the Infinity Mx versus the Gx, or the Acura RL vs the TL.

What about the MB E class or S class vs a C class .

steviej

Unfortunately they've taken a lot of steps backwards in the quality department when it comes to the interior on the ES350. Its more obvious in the base loaner cars because they're stripped and often dirty, the car feels more upscale with the nav screen and the better leather/panoramic roof in the top line car. The GS' interior is still way higher quality than the ES350s though.

Now, when compared to the generation ES I have and StevieJ had its more even, better plastics, triple stitched leather, more wood. Much better finishes. When I bought my ES300 new I decided between the ES300 and the GS300 then and it was no contest because the ES had a much better interior feel IMHO. Now its the opposite I think.

• 1 month later...
Actually only about 20% of the car comes from the Camry...

The engine and drive-train is the same.Compression ratio too.

The regular grade and premium gas difference is simply Toyota knowing that a premium requirement in a Camry would hurt sales.

The shape of the car is very similar.

The biggest difference is a softer tuned suspension and more sound deadening.Along with the Camry being bult here and the ES in Japan.

The ES is based on the Camry or vice versa with tweaking..

To me,it's like a Mercury Grand Marquis/Ford Crown Vic and a Lincoln Town Car.

The engine and drivetrain are the same thats true. They may look similar, but no body panels, no glass, no interior components outside of standard Toyota/Lexus switchgear are shared.

Its not like the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis where the only difference is badging and trim, the ES is as similar to the Camry as the RX is, for instance. Both are on the same platform and share the engine and powertrain.

The only Lexus that is a rebadged version of a Toyota (such in the case of the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car is the LX, and thats not even as much the case now with the new LX570.

Again, about 20% of the car comes from the Camry.

The engine and drivetrain are the same thats true. They may look similar, but no body panels, no glass, no interior components outside of standard Toyota/Lexus switchgear are shared.

Its not like the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis where the only difference is badging and trim, the ES is as similar to the Camry as the RX is, for instance. Both are on the same platform and share the engine and powertrain.

The only Lexus that is a rebadged version of a Toyota (such in the case of the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car is the LX, and thats not even as much the case now with the new LX570.

Again, about 20% of the car comes from the Camry.

Ok,I understand what you're saying but in looking at both cars,you can see the similarities.

Oh absolutely, the Avalon and the LS have a similar look too...but they're completely different. The cars are all designed by the same company, and thus they all have a family resemblance.