Starter Spool Down...?

BigBuggie

Hello guys, It's been a while since I posted here, My 1992 LS now has 122k on it (purchased with 113k). So far so good.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed the appearance of a new sound on start up. The car continues to crank and fire normally however, after the engine fires I can hear the starter spooling down after it disengages. Kind of a whirring noise. If I just whack the key to start and release it quickly before she fires it can be heard clearly, as the combustion sounds are not interfering. As I said the start up sequence is fine except for this additional noise.

Im hoping for the best. A new starter at 120k is not a very common scenario on these vehicles......As I have been lead to understand.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Hello guys, It's been a while since I posted here, My 1992 LS now has 122k on it (purchased with 113k). So far so good.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed the appearance of a new sound on start up. The car continues to crank and fire normally however, after the engine fires I can hear the starter spooling down after it disengages. Kind of a whirring noise. If I just whack the key to start and release it quickly before she fires it can be heard clearly, as the combustion sounds are not interfering. As I said the start up sequence is fine except for this additional noise.

Im hoping for the best. A new starter at 120k is not a very common scenario on these vehicles......As I have been lead to understand.

Pete

Hi I had the same problem as you described. It only occurs on the first start up after the car has been parked awhile(overnight or after 8-10). Startups after the initial are fine. If this is what's happening then your BATTERY is dying. Just replaced it and it's back to normal. Also the car runs smoother for some reason after the battery change. At stops, it's very quite but before it would shake a bit and feel rough idling.

To test if yours is the same bring it to a place to check the battery (ie Walmart/Pepboys/Kargen/Sears, etc) battery check is free. A 12Volt battery check using a volt meter can't determine the cranking amps. Another way to check is jump start your car. If you don't hear the noise when you start your car with the support of another car then you know your battery is weak and need help to start.