Nav In An Non-nav 99 Rx

• 1 year later...

Did you ever find any information on that? I just bought a Nav Stereo off ebay to do the same thing. I see that the connections on the back off this rig are much different from my non-nav Stereo. I'm planning on picking up the ECU off ebay also. I'll keep you posted on this thread.

12/27/09. I've been in contact with a guy on ebay that sells nav parts out of RX's. He sells a wire harness to adapt the Nav into a non-nav RX for $400canolies, and claims that Lexus sells it from $1200! From the looks of things it would be possible to use a wiring diagram to make your own harness, but I don't think it's worth the risk of frying the Nav radio I just purchased. So I'll wait til I have $400 to put down on that. I believe that if I install the headunit with the harness that the Radio and Climate control will function, and display on the touchscreen. If so, I will just wait til down the road I find a good deal on the ECU and DVD-rom. The main reason I want this Nav-radio in my RX is because the good Ipod interfaces are only available for this, and not the non-nav stereo. That's it for now.

• 2 months later...

Hey NJerseyDan, just wondering who the guy is on eBay and if you ever finished this project. I have an '02 RX300, low miles, great condition, but really wishing I had NAV for it, preferably a new unit... and just wondering how your project turned out.

I have a 2001 RX with NAV and I have a few thoughts for you.

If I had it to do over again, I would not have searched for an RX with NAV.

I also have a portable Garmin unit and it works much better (just my opinion).

The radio controls are actually more convenient in a non NAV vehicle because you can control them without looking away from the road.

You can even get Garmin units now with internet connectivity so that you can get updated information while on the road.

Just my 2 cents.

Tom