91 Ls400

trevordbs

Were is the sensor at? I have found a chilton or hanes for this car just yet, as i have recently purchased for a commuter car(78 elcamino was just...sucking way to much gas and getting too many miles on it). I know the sensor is f'ed up some how, as the needle randomly shoots up and then down. It's *BLEEP*ing retarded. If anyone could tell me were, brief description and/or picture. That'd be great.

thanks

-Trevor

The coolant temp sensor is located under the black plastic bridge at the front of the plenum. It's screwed into the water bridge to the left and to the rear of the thermostat. The air conditioning temp sensor and cold start sensor are in the same area. So be carefull not to mistake it for one of them. They are behind/under the ignition coil, you will need to remove the coil to see them. There are two 2 wire temp sensors, green body/ brown body. A little bit above these two is a single wire temp sensor which is used for the temperature guage. Look for a small 1/2" brass fitting. It's vertically screwed into the water bridge. Here's the best diagram I can find showing at least the location of the thermostat and coil:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/thermostat.html

I would also check the connections to your temp guage.