Backup Camera And/or Backup Sensors (audio)

ticman

Leasing a 2008 and p/u is scheduled for next week.

I didn't get the Navigation system and was told I could add the backup camera for around $550 or the audio backup sensors for about $400.

I can include in lease or pay separately.

I just wonder what people's thoughts are on either of those 2 options--worth it? must have? nice to have? save your money?

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Mike

Hello:

I have the sensors and camera (UL and MLevinson stereo with nav screen)

I did not think that camera was necessary but after owning I find it difficult to judge backing up without it. The profile is longer than my previous Maxima (considerably) and the back is higher. so used to (probably a few inches but seems my tail is 2 ft longer).

Also backing into my garage it is needed. Will save me many bumps!

Butttt, leasing is diff. than owning. I plan to have for a long time. But if finance is not an issue, I would say get it.

cheers

I didn't get the Navigation system and was told I could add the backup camera for around $550 or the audio backup sensors for about $400.

I just wonder what people's thoughts are on either of those 2 options--worth it? must have? nice to have? save your money?

Thanks

Mike

I agree 100% with rjt! The park assist sensors and the backup camera are great...I didn't know you didn't have to get the Nav system though! One note (even though this may be obvious), the park sensors on the front are only on the corners of the bumper not directly on the front. So, if you are going straight into a parking space forward, don't wait for the sensors to tell you if you are close (I did hit a snow bank...but no damage). In the back, they are at the corners and directly in the back so it is OK. Just a note.

Thanks

Mike

I can see having the sensors without NAV because they also display in the dashboard, the bumpers have to be drilled and sensors need to be placed and wired. But for the backup camera, a monitor has to be installed somewhere, and the camera also has to be installed in the back. I don't know if they already have all the wiring in place.

Thanks guys for the info.

I have decided to hold off and see how I like driving without either camera or sensors. I have had ES models since 1993 (because of front wheel drive and my driveway lol) and never had issues. Sensors and cameras weren't even offered, I don't believe. But I am reading that trunk is high and view partially blocked.

So guess I will wait and see.

Again, I appreciate the info.

Mike

One note (even though this may be obvious), the park sensors on the front are only on the corners of the bumper not directly on the front. So, if you are going straight into a parking space forward, don't wait for the sensors to tell you if you are close (I did hit a snow bank...but no damage). In the back, they are at the corners and directly in the back so it is OK. Just a note.

That was my biggest gripe about the ES's front parking sensors........they only have 2 on the corners as opposed to the GS and LS which have 4. I don't know why Lexus decided to eliminate the front center sensors in the ES, especially when this option is necessary for accurate parking determination. How much more would Lexus have to charge for 2 more sensors? Bad, bad, bad!! :angry: