2003 Tail Light Warning

B-n-B

Hi All, have spent my lunch hour reading posts about this problem. Seems like there is a lot of discussion about alternators and the wiring on the hinge of the trunk ... question, is that wiring still something to check on a 2003? I know it's there for the older models.

When my headlights are off, I get no warning light. The minute I turn my headlights on, I get the "Tail light failure" warning on the instrument panel. All my tail lights are illuminated.

I have no idea if I have OEM bulbs or not, just had 2 replaced by the local Toyota dealer (took 2 trips ... grrr) .. you'd think they'd at least look at them after replacing the bulb ... sigh.

So, is the recommended procedure the following:

- double check all lamps .. including one in the back window

- replace all bulbs with OEM bulbs

- check for corrosion and clean sockets

- check for correct voltage (12.5 amps)? Can I use a volt-meter for that?

- check wiring box in truck hinge (if option for my year)

- check alternator

Other ideas?

Even with the troubles so far, I *love* my "new" car. :D It was on sale, after all.

Thanks so much guys!

Hi. I really do not think that the 2001+ models had this trunk wiring issue, but I could be wrong. I am not even sure if it plagued the 1995+ models, but surely someone here will chime in.

Hi All, have spent my lunch hour reading posts about this problem. Seems like there is a lot of discussion about alternators and the wiring on the hinge of the trunk ... question, is that wiring still something to check on a 2003? I know it's there for the older models.

When my headlights are off, I get no warning light. The minute I turn my headlights on, I get the "Tail light failure" warning on the instrument panel. All my tail lights are illuminated.

I have no idea if I have OEM bulbs or not, just had 2 replaced by the local Toyota dealer (took 2 trips ... grrr) .. you'd think they'd at least look at them after replacing the bulb ... sigh.

- check alternator

Other ideas?

Even with the troubles so far, I *love* my "new" car. :D It was on sale, after all.

Thanks so much guys!

• 8 months later...
Make sure you check your light that is in your rear window.

I went thru a similar routing on my 99 LS400. The rear window tail light has two bulbs and one was all black but the other one gave me the false signal of "no problem here". Don't know if yours is the same.

The 01+ models have trunk wiring that is of a different layout owing to the hinge design; I don't think it's quite the same issue as the previous years.

It could be that one of the bulbs is about to burn out. I had a similar situation where the check bulb light would go on every time I put my foot on the brake pedal but I couldn't figure out which bulb was out; they all seemed fine when I put my foot on the brake or when I turned the lights on. The bulbs are dual filament; so perhaps the computer compensates by partially illuminating the bulbs?

I had replaced the CHMSL a couple months prior so I guess as they are all the same age they will all start to burn out. I replaced all the bulbs and found two that looked darker than the rest. You can buy the bulbs online; I think I paid $30 for the whole set.

• 7 months later...

- check alternator

Did you ever find the solution for this problem... I got the same issue. All the bulbs are good. I checked 50 times already. I cleaned the sockets, and checked the voltage (getting about 12.15V). I checked the light in the back window as well. I chnged all other lights. Still have the taillamp failure sign.

Is there any way to loop this so that it "fools" the sensor.

CJ

Other ideas?

Thanks so much guys!

Ok all Lexus Guru's

I have two problems with my newly bought LS430 (2003). It turns out the car was hit on the left side from the driver's door to the passenger door. I can tell because I can pick up re-painted parts very quickly.

Problem #1:

Taillamp failure light comes on with I turn the headlights on.

1. Probably a problem with the luggage computer box (this is were the sensor is?) Is there a way to loop the signal to "fool" the sensor.

2. Where the heck is the ground screw for this system? Each socket just has clips to hold in the bulb.

Problem #2

Last week it rained all day, I just noticed that the back passenger carpet was soaking wet - I mean splash, splash wet. Where is this water coming from? The plugs on the sheet metal are in place and tight.

I'm gonna tackle one problem at a time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I do like the ride of the car, but these little problems are driving me nuts.

Thanks

CJ