Blue Smoke At Cold Start

Chuckl

I just bought a 05 RX and am really enjoying it. Its a very low milage truck showing only 17k.

I first noticed a good cloud of blue smoke upon cold start. The used dealership had the RX serviced at pick-up and at the first fillup 350 miles, it needed a Qt of oil. I'm watching it carefully. Runs fine, no missing, smooth as silk.

It looks like failure in the valve guide seals with oil leaking into the cylinders when it sets. Also could this be an effect of a very short trip routine by the former owner? I read the sludge threads on the 300 engine but seems unlikely at 17k?

I have 9 months of base waranty left. Hopefully no questions about proof of 5k services.

Is this a common malfunction? I haven't found any common complaints in the threads. :huh:

Thanks for your help.

Pull & replace the PCV valve (cheap) and check the hoses for obstruction. Take a good look at the old valve and check to see if the ball in the valve is still freely moving as it should still rattle when shaken. Change oil brands to a high calcium oil like Pennzoil Platinum which will have more of a cleaning effect on the engine. Fill it up with premium fuel and add a bottle of techron or redline s-1 fuel system cleaner and take it for a 200-300 mile freeway trip with some hard acceleration on the on ramps. If it still smokes take it in under warranty. You engine probably needs a good blow out if the previous owner did nothing more than short trips.

You could also consider trying a HM oil like Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 which has a seal swell additive. But if it is consuming more than 1 quart in 5000 miles after you give it a good blow out you probably have an issue. My 04 RX uses 1/3 qt in 5000 miles at 142,000.