Starting Issues

Need some help diagnosing this problem. I have a 98 GS400 78,000 miles. Whenever i leave the car for 4 days without driving the car just refuses to start. I have sit there and continue to mess with it for like 15 minutes before it starts. I will here a little click see the lights come on but then it wont start. I dont have this problem when i drive it frequently or like two days apart. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If by "won't start" you mean "won't crank," than I'd say you need to rebuild/replace the starter. When you get a heavy click.....click.....click....sound and then all of the sudden the car starts right up, the problem is usually the starter contacts. There are several threads about removing the starter and rebuilding it for a couple of dollars. In my opinion, if I felt the starter was the problem, I would replace it with a Toyota/Lexus rebuilt unit. The reason I say this is on the GS400, the entire intake manifold and various other parts have to be removed to access the starter. It takes several hours to do and it's probably not something you'd want to do twice.

If by "won't start" you mean "won't crank," than I'd say you need to rebuild/replace the starter. When you get a heavy click.....click.....click....sound and then all of the sudden the car starts right up, the problem is usually the starter contacts. There are several threads about removing the starter and rebuilding it for a couple of dollars. In my opinion, if I felt the starter was the problem, I would replace it with a Toyota/Lexus rebuilt unit. The reason I say this is on the GS400, the entire intake manifold and various other parts have to be removed to access the starter. It takes several hours to do and it's probably not something you'd want to do twice.

Thanks for your reply. Its not a click click click sound. Its just one click and then it wont start until i start messing around with the battery cables. This problem only occurs when i leave the car for a 4 day or more period without driving it. If i drive it every day or every other day no problems at all.

check the voltage to the battery and make sure u getting continuity it sounds like u have a electrical drain or a bad connection from something! maybe the battery cables need to be removed,cleaned,scuffed up, and retightened but it seems to be a bad connection! maybe you have a loose wire someplace................

"i will welcome myself back to the forum as im,woo hooooooooo, finally unsuspended! hahaha!"

brian