Dice Ipod Interface

I just got the Dice i-Toyota-R iPOD interface for my 2006 GS300 with Mark Levenson and Nav. It is replacing the Vais unit because I wanted to be able to browse by Artist>Album>Track. (this also does playlists too)

Just want to let everyone know it works great! It could emulate SAT, MD changer, or CD changer to adapt to most situations. I am using SAT. You can browse using the tuner knob (in addition to the screen buttons and steering wheel buttons). You can browse while listening to current track, and it then automatically goes to selection 1 second after you stop scrolling.

If most of your iPOD is filled with CDs ripped to iTunes, this works great. The guys at Vais are also working on this, but only (so far) intend to use MP3 emulation which was not on the 2006's.

How was the installation? Pretty easy? Sounds like a cool device. Let us know.

I put the DICE unit in my GS300 last summer. Install was a breeze. Follow the well-known directions on this forum to take the radio out. Once it's out the connectors on the DICE unit plug right in, and then put it all back. Pretty straight forward.

I ended up putting the actual DICE "box" in the glove compartment (allowing me to easily run the cable behind the dash). I keep the iPod plugged in and put that in the glove compartment too - out of sight. This way, I can use the steering wheel or touch screen controls to navigate my music, and if I need do, the cable is long enough that I can get the iPod out of the glove compartment and use that too.

I put the DICE unit in my GS300 last summer. Install was a breeze. Follow the well-known directions on this forum to take the radio out. Once it's out the connectors on the DICE unit plug right in, and then put it all back. Pretty straight forward.

I ended up putting the actual DICE "box" in the glove compartment (allowing me to easily run the cable behind the dash). I keep the iPod plugged in and put that in the glove compartment too - out of sight. This way, I can use the steering wheel or touch screen controls to navigate my music, and if I need do, the cable is long enough that I can get the iPod out of the glove compartment and use that too.

How much did it cost? Can you post some pics?

How much did it cost? Can you post some pics?

The only cost was the cost of the dice unit. I don't recall exactly what I paid (it was last year), but I see them on Dice's website for $160. I'm sure if you check some toyota forums you'll find discounts since it's the same unit (I got mine from PriusChat, which is currently selling them for $144 including shipping - http://priuschat.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/66).

I don't have pics right now but need to open the dash to make some adjustments anyway so will take some then. Unfortunately I'm travelling for work this week and we recently bought a new home so time is hard to find - I can't promise when I'll get the pics up.

But, like I said, if you want to get started, check out the pinned post on this forum (06-08 gs forum) about how to do the dvd bypass. There are great instructions there for how to remove the radio, and that's really all you need to do to install the dice.

Just like Madyash said. Remove the nav/sterao like in the DVD bypass instructions, unplug one cable, and put the Dice cable between it existing connection. You also have to choose which emulation you want (CD, MD, SAT, MP3) with 2 dip switches. Thats it!

I wonder since you did this last summer that you have the ARTIST>ALBUM>TRACK browsing from the nav screen? I thought that was new this year? Are these units able to be upgraded when new features come out? I looked at so many, I forgot. I ordered mine from DICE and it was $160 plus tax and shipping (I live in the same state).

Just like Madyash said. Remove the nav/sterao like in the DVD bypass instructions, unplug one cable, and put the Dice cable between it existing connection. You also have to choose which emulation you want (CD, MD, SAT, MP3) with 2 dip switches. Thats it!

I wonder since you did this last summer that you have the ARTIST>ALBUM>TRACK browsing from the nav screen? I thought that was new this year? Are these units able to be upgraded when new features come out? I looked at so many, I forgot. I ordered mine from DICE and it was $160 plus tax and shipping (I live in the same state).

To be honest, I don't really know because I haven't spent much time playing with it. The last year has been so hectic with moving across the country multiple times (and a hard drive crash) that I never really had the time to organize my music library properly and then see what I can do through the nav screen. I primarly use the screen and steering wheel controls to skip tracks. I know that I can change within playlists, change playlists, and change album. Not sure about the artist though.

Not sure about upgrading the units. I would imagine that it is possible - it should just be a change to the firmware on the unit. However, in order to do so you'd need to connect a computer or other device to the unit (depending on the types of connections it has - I don't remember) and flash the device. I haven't read anything about upgrades being available, but I'll post the question to their support folks when I get home.

Sorry I wasn't of much help... :huh:

bob 2006 GS300 and Madyash...I am in the process of buying an interface kit for my 2006 GS300 but I don't have the Mark Levinson system. Will the Dice brand enable me to browse by Playlist, Artist and Album? I see other kits that cost around $250.00. Do you know what the differences might be?

Thanks.

bob 2006 GS300 and Madyash...I am in the process of buying an interface kit for my 2006 GS300 but I don't have the Mark Levinson system. Will the Dice brand enable me to browse by Playlist, Artist and Album? I see other kits that cost around $250.00. Do you know what the differences might be?

Thanks.

yes. The manual is viewable on their website. Click SUPPORT, and the manual is there in PDF form. It shows the controls for the various radios. The more I use it, the more I like it! I am sick of playlists... this is much better.

I would say the difference is about a hundred dollars :D seriously, the Dice, Peripheral, and Scosche are plastic modules, and the Vais is metal of high quality, but both the Vais and the Dice have GREAT sound and work fine. I only switched because Vais does not plan to support the better browsing on my 2006 car. I haven't tried the others.

With nav, I recommend the Dice as I like it, but since you have a different radio, look at the manual for the Dice and Peripheral and read how the controls work to navigate the iPod. One of them may see more instinctive or intuitive for you or the way you use it.

http://www.diceelectronics.com/Merchant/me...ICE_IPOD_TOYOTA

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/produ...ProductID=276#0

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/151/sfID2/159

http://www.vaistech.com/home.php

Bob 2006 GS300......Thanks for the reply. What is confusing me is that on some websites, they're saying that text would only show if the radio has the "TEXT" button. Mine doesn't. It has a "TITLE" button on the CD changer screen. Another thing is that when I put in a CD, whether factory or burnt from i-tunes, the screen doesn't show the title of the track and the name of the artist. Now I'm not very sure if I'm able to see the text that I see on my ipod on my navigation screen.

Other than the number of speakers, DVD capability and the more powerful amp, is there any difference between the Mark Levinson system and the regular system as far as ipod integration is concerned?

I want to be absolutely sure that I can browse by playlist, artist and album and see text on my screen before I order from Dice.

Thanks.

I want to be absolutely sure that I can browse by playlist, artist and album and see text on my screen before I order from Dice.

Hours: Monday-Friday 9 AM - 5 PM (PT)

Phone:1-888-DICE-999 (1-888-342-3999)

call them and ask. I talked to Zoltan at extension 111, he seemed to be knowledgeable. I actually ordered from him and installed myself.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2007 GS350 AWD with NAV and standard radio, no SAT.

I'm thinking about installing the Dice unit. Will I be able to browse the iPod menus while driving? Any problem with the NAV and phone cut off while moving. What difference does the emulation make, SAT or CD for example.

This sounds like a great solution, thanks for the info.

• 5 weeks later...

Does anyone have the iPod interface from Peripheral Electronics in their car? I am just wondering if it will allow you to use the touch navigation screen to navigate through the playlist. It is also sold at Best Buy for $150, so you don't have to wait for it in the mail.

Thanks.

I have a 2007 GS350 AWD with NAV and standard radio, no SAT.

I'm thinking about installing the Dice unit. Will I be able to browse the iPod menus while driving? Any problem with the NAV and phone cut off while moving. What difference does the emulation make, SAT or CD for example.

This sounds like a great solution, thanks for the info.

With CD or MD emulation, there are 6 buttons on the nav screen labeled DISC 1, DISC 2, etc.

Each will represent a function, like PLAYLIST, ARTIST, ALBUM, TRACK. The problem here is that you have to remember what each button does. They just say DISC 1, DISC 2, etc. You use the steering wheel buttons, nav screen buttons, or the radio buttons to make a selection (of the current function) forward or backwards.

In SAT emulation, the nav screen shows 6 buttons representing SAT stations. The functions DO display on those buttons. They do read PLAYLIST, ARTIST, ALBUM, TRACK.

And, although you can also use all of the above buttons on the nav screen, radio, and steering wheel, you can also use the radio's TUNING knob to scroll through each function.

Both modes display Track, Artist, Album info for about 20 characters of each field. The up side to the SAT mode is that the NAV function buttons are labeled and the tuner knob scrolling works, but the down side is that it does not show track number or time. (I got used to that fast, no biggie).

hope this helps.