Sound System?

I am looking for a used 1997-2000 Es 300 and I am debating between the stock stereo and the Nakamichi. How does both sound?

please help. This will be my first car and my graduation gift. I am thinking of getting the ES or the Camry XLE V6

I had the Nakamichi in my 97, and to be honest, it left a lot to be desired. But you can always upgrade the stereo--don't base your car-buying decision on it.

Go with the Lexus--you will be very happy. It is a very reliable, luxurious car. Camry is reliable too, but won't get you the same respect as a Lexus would ;) Not being materialistic here, just realistic. Whenever one of my friends saw the Lexus, their reaction was "Oh wow you drive a Lexus". Even though it was 10 years old, it got more reaction out of people than a brand new Camry.

hands down - nakamichi. it is customized to inner contour. i doubt any after market stereo can match it. The true ambience is reflected only via music cd and not from the fm radio though. A coach edition perforated leather is another option you may like.

I am looking for a used 1997-2000 Es 300 and I am debating between the stock stereo and the Nakamichi. How does both sound?

please help. This will be my first car and my graduation gift. I am thinking of getting the ES or the Camry XLE V6

Welcome to LOC hause! Very nice grad gift!

I agree that if you find a 'peach' of an ES & it has the base stereo.....don't base your entire decision on that alone (would you rather an ES in worse shape with the Nak system?).

Also go for the 2000/2001 model or the newest ES you can find in your price range. Go here for the year to year changes...

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...exus-es-300.htm

Or www.nctd.com is a good source of info also.....good luck & happy hunting! ;)

:cheers:

Welcome to LOC hause! Very nice grad gift!

I agree that if you find a 'peach' of an ES & it has the base stereo.....don't base your entire decision on that alone (would you rather an ES in worse shape with the Nak system?).

Also go for the 2000/2001 model or the newest ES you can find in your price range. Go here for the year to year changes...

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com...exus-es-300.htm

Or www.nctd.com is a good source of info also.....good luck & happy hunting! ;)

:cheers:

Thanks a lot to all the replies. I am going to go look at some Es300's soon. I just love Toyota's and Lexus's.

• 2 weeks later...
For what it is worth I recently upgraded the door speakers in my 93 Es300 to Infinity Kappas and the sound is amazing!

Are these speakers the type that have a small tweeter built into them?... if so, did it make the high's too much out of balance?... I need to replace my front door speakers, and have found that most of the aftermarket stuff has the 2 or 3 way setups. I really like the balance that the standard premium systems have and would hate to "mess that up" with a 2 or 3 way.

Thoughts anyone?

hands down - nakamichi. it is customized to inner contour. i doubt any after market stereo can match it. The true ambience is reflected only via music cd and not from the fm radio though. A coach edition perforated leather is another option you may like.

You have not heard many quality aftermarket systems have you?

For what it is worth I recently upgraded the door speakers in my 93 Es300 to Infinity Kappas and the sound is amazing!

Are these speakers the type that have a small tweeter built into them?... if so, did it make the high's too much out of balance?... I need to replace my front door speakers, and have found that most of the aftermarket stuff has the 2 or 3 way setups. I really like the balance that the standard premium systems have and would hate to "mess that up" with a 2 or 3 way.

Thoughts anyone?

I have Polk 2-way co-axial speakers in my door, and a JL sub as well, so the tweeters in the door pods probably wouldn't be able to compete with the lows without the help from the Polks. But that's just my setup. Experiment, you may find that yours is different.

are you going by individual opinion on after market or by comparing official design spec of nakamichi amp and speaker system. it all depends on the type of music you listen that reflects the true range of the design spec.