Help...installed Power Steering Pump...not Working

I was getting a lot of whining/groaning/leaking from my power steering so I decided to go ahead and replace the pump since I have a long road trip next week and I don't want it crapping out on me. While I was in there, I replaced the alternator as well.

The car runs fine, but there is a lot of whining/groaning from the PS pump (much worse than before), and there is no hydraulic power coming from the pump. Steering feels like it is close to 100% manual but I am not getting any leaks. Something is seriously wrong with the install or the part. I was wondering if there is something simple that I could have missed while doing this. I am really irritated right now because I need this car for my trip in a week.

You have air in the system for sure, no question. These cars are notorious for being difficult to bleed. Do a search on here and you'll find lots of help.

Thanks...after doing a little reading, that's what I thought was happening. I'm used to my Nissan where it takes like two times lock to lock and it's all set.

I followed the instructions for flushing the PS system on lexls.com and turned the wheel back and forth about 50 times and I still have what feels like completely manual steering. The noise is gone, so I'm guessing the air is out of the system, but a quiet pump that isn't working is of no use to me. What next?

A few questons. When you flushed the system, was the fluid running clean when you stopped and were you sure to avoid the reservoir going dry? Because that would create an air pocket that could be difficult to get rid of. You mention cranking the wheel for about 50 times, that may not be enough. Try cranking for about 15 minutes. It should get lighter. Did you clean the mesh screen in the reservoir? Check your pump to make sure it's working. It should be putting out around 300 psi. Check your rack for any leaks, especially at the end dust caps. There's a solenoid on the rack that should be also cleaned to prevent overly high pressure buildup. What is your level? If you have overfilled, you may have blown a seal. Check that all your connections are correct and tight. Finally, as difficult as it may be, try driving the car for about a week making a lot of turns every time. Notice if the steering effort gets lighter. If it does then it's a good sign that with enough driving it should get back to somewhere near normal.

A few questons. When you flushed the system, was the fluid running clean when you stopped and were you sure to avoid the reservoir going dry? Because that would create an air pocket that could be difficult to get rid of. You mention cranking the wheel for about 50 times, that may not be enough. Try cranking for about 15 minutes. It should get lighter. Did you clean the mesh screen in the reservoir? Check your pump to make sure it's working. It should be putting out around 300 psi. Check your rack for any leaks, especially at the end dust caps. There's a solenoid on the rack that should be also cleaned to prevent overly high pressure buildup. What is your level? If you have overfilled, you may have blown a seal. Check that all your connections are correct and tight. Finally, as difficult as it may be, try driving the car for about a week making a lot of turns every time. Notice if the steering effort gets lighter. If it does then it's a good sign that with enough driving it should get back to somewhere near normal.

If the rack solenoid is bad or clogged it may prevent most of the steering assist. Advice above is very sound. Also be careful of old hoses. Many of the older hoses when taken off to replace PS pump crack inside and that trash can come down into the solenoid. The solenoid can be removed while rack is in car and it has a built in screen that can get plugged. Goggle rebuilt racks and you'll find several firms that sell cheaper replacement hoses that Lexus OEM.

Well, I took off the pump and took off the air relief valve, pressure valve assembly, and reservoir to make sure nothing was clogged. I didn't see anything, but it may have made a difference. Next, I took out the solenoid on the rack and cleaned the screen...pretty dirty. I re-flushed and bled the system and now it works great. I don't know exactly what the problem was, but it is fixed now, haha. Thanks for the help, guys!

• 2 weeks later...