Sc400 Transmission Compatability

The Tranny in My '92 SC400 stopped working in all forward gears. I decided to replace it with a low mileage used one. The problem is that I'm getting mixed information on which transmissions are compatible. It appears that Toyota has used the same model TXMSN in many cars over the years.

Presently I'm looking at one out of an 95 SC400 with 60,000 miles. Does someone know if this tranny will work?

Tom

i am putting in a transmission tomarrow.

from my shop manuel,

they say the only difference in any sc trans is

obd-1 and obd-2

1992 - 2000 sc series A340E W or W/out obd2

but then they say a toyota tundra,tacoma and 4-runner 2WD

has the same trans

so i dont know

from my shop manuel,

obd-1 and obd-2

has the same trans

so i dont know

Thanks, I'm using all data as a resource. maybe I should get a Haynes or something.

from my shop manuel,

obd-1 and obd-2

has the same trans

so i dont know

Thanks, I'm using all data as a resource. maybe I should get a Haynes or something.

just installed one that was actually out of a 97

the only diff was the gear selector sensor

which was simple the switch over

all is good

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The Tranny in My '92 SC400 stopped working in all forward gears. I decided to replace it with a low mileage used one. The problem is that I'm getting mixed information on which transmissions are compatible. It appears that Toyota has used the same model TXMSN in many cars over the years.

I am having the same problem. I just bought 92 SC400 and the trans doesnt work in any gear. How did you fix it?

Presently I'm looking at one out of an 95 SC400 with 60,000 miles. Does someone know if this tranny will work?

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys-before you c/o your trannie, drop the pan and put in a new filter or clean your old filter. My 93 sc400 w/135,000 just quit one nite. I went around the block to check out the brake job I did, and while going, it just kinda went into neutral. Would not move in any gear, just out of the blue. It did kinda mis-shift once a week before (seemed to slip a little). I was shopping for a trannie and my mechanic instinctively cleaned the filter when I had asked him to pull the whole trans. (I was told that to get the right replacement, I would have to bring mine with me to the junkyard. I agree that there is either no difference or that there are diff's which don't show up on the model # plate). Anyway, it's been fine for 6 months now. Just took it on a 700 mi road trip. This also shut down a friends 66 Lincoln, and a clean filter got it going too. I had no idea they could shut you down like that! Be sure and use the right fluid, mine took Toyota Type 4 now.

Hey guys-before you c/o your trannie, drop the pan and put in a new filter or clean your old filter. My 93 sc400 w/135,000 just quit one nite. I went around the block to check out the brake job I did, and while going, it just kinda went into neutral. Would not move in any gear, just out of the blue. It did kinda mis-shift once a week before (seemed to slip a little). I was shopping for a trannie and my mechanic instinctively cleaned the filter when I had asked him to pull the whole trans. (I was told that to get the right replacement, I would have to bring mine with me to the junkyard. I agree that there is either no difference or that there are diff's which don't show up on the model # plate). Anyway, it's been fine for 6 months now. Just took it on a 700 mi road trip. This also shut down a friends 66 Lincoln, and a clean filter got it going too. I had no idea they could shut you down like that! Be sure and use the right fluid, mine took Toyota Type 4 now.

Was the filter inside the bell-housing?