Oil Change At 1k Service

GX 470 law

Some people on this forum state that the original oil has some special break-in properties and additives and it should be left in for the first 5K miles.

Engines today don't seem to have the amount of initial scraping and grinding that cars of old seemed to produce on a new engine. Manufacturing techniques are much more refined.

Whatever you decide, be sure to change the oil filter each time the oil is changed.

In the old days, people use to change the oil the 1st time at 1000 miles to get rid of the metal shavings. Car manufacturers makes engine part to much tighter tolarance these days, so there is really no need. I have not seen any proof that Lexus uses a break in oil like Honda does. There is no need to chance the oil at 1000 miles but if it make you feel better, change it at 2500 to 3000 miles.

Whatever you decide, be sure to change the oil filter each time the oil is changed.

Not lexus related but.... when my wife took in her Honda Accord for it's first oil change they didn't replace the oil filter, just the oil.

I thought that was strange. They replace the oil every 5K ( i think) and the filter every second oil change.

Weird

My financial advisor recenty suggested that I buy all the gas and oil I can, to keep my portfolio growing, so I'm changing my oil and filters every 5K miles, whether it needs or not!! :P

Your post is incorrect since it suggests he knows about your car, not the case and it is another lie. But, that is great. I go, by informed people who state the treads and know my car/engines etc. Based on the #'s, he (mine) is correct. But do what you have done for 60+ years, in your case.

mburnickas,

My financial advisor doesn't give a rat's-a$$ about my vehicles. She simply advises me on my financial investments and several stocks. Since one of my investment portfolios has "petroleum" in it, I was just making a joke.

My apologies if it went over your head. :rolleyes:

But, the fact is, she did say that after reviewing my portfolio, she recommended "leaving the petroleum (oil & gas) the way it is"... just keep "buying gas and oil" :P .... get it?

I'm curious, which part of my post do you believe is "another lie"?

So they are this late in the game? Find a new advisor...I have some stock in mobil etc and oil is not it..In fact, it is not great and worth selling. I will take my 20% on other stocks.

Another lie was posted in reponse to your post..You have been riding me since my UOA. Get the pix yet? I TRY to stick to the topic at hand.

But if you are over 60+ years old, as you say, you are crazy for playing with stocks like this...