Brake Pad Wear

045spdIS300

I just replaced my rear pads at 50K. The fronts have, and this is a guestimate, 30% of the life left on them.

The drivers side rear had about 50% of its life left. The passenger side was just about at the metal warning clip. Although one pad was a little more worn than the other, both sides were just about shot.

My best guess is a sticky caliper. Anyone have a description of where, and what i would use to lube it? Could it be the trac control? I usually shut that off unless it is raining/snowing. Parking brake?

Also, unless they are warped I really have no plans to take off the rotors and have them resurfaced. Just do not see the need and it turns a 1 hour job into a half a day. I will probably just throw on new rotors when they get to thin. Any downside to that?

Thanks for any input

You can probably get away without turning, (resurfacing) your rotors, as it's more for reducing hot spots and prolonging the brake pads you just put in. That way the disc and pad break in together, instead of the rotor breaking in and conforming the pad to it. Which is where the hot spots can happen. I turn mine, and I recommend it to others, but more as a preventative step.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with not turning rotors unless warped or scored. I've replaced pads many times without turning the rotors.

Sticky caliper pistons.... Sometimes by just "exercising" the pistons in and out while you have the caliper off can cure as sticky piston. Make sure you watch the fluid level in the reservoir!! You could end up with fluid all over the master cylinder and brake fluid is corrosive to paint.

Uneven pad wear in not unusual. Make sure you bleed the heck of the calipers and the entire hydraulic system, and if the brake fluid isn't completely clear, you might consider and complete flush and refresh.

thanks to all for the feedback.